Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
MikeB  
#1 Posted : 25 April 2019 11:55:59(UTC)

I'm ordering an asymmetric spinnaker from Kemps and I need to specify the length of the luff ("from fully hoisted halyard to tack"). I have done some measurements with the mast down and arrived at 10m (10.03 to be precise).

Whilst I obviously have the utmost confidence in all my measuring and calculating I was just wondering if anyone else had done the same and if so what the answer was ?

Mike Ball

P235 No 36 "Juicy Blue"

Silkkn  
#2 Posted : 29 April 2019 11:53:20(UTC)

Hi Mike,

Just took delivery a Cruising Chute/Asymmetrical Spinnaker, Luff is approx 9.5m including snuffer,

Hope this helps

Richard

235/59 Silkkin

MikeB  
#3 Posted : 29 April 2019 14:05:23(UTC)

Thanks Richard. Where did you buy it from ?

Mike

Mike Ball

P235 No 36 "Juicy Blue"

Silkkn  
#4 Posted : 29 April 2019 18:50:33(UTC)

Hi again Mike,

I live near Norwich (although boat is moored on the Blackwater in Essex) so I had the sail made by local sailmaker Jeckells of Wroxham.

Everything seems ok but I have yet to try it but hopefully will do this coming weekend !

Richard

235/59 Silkkin

ARRussell  
#5 Posted : 30 April 2019 21:58:08(UTC)

Hello Mike,

I got the same result as you, both from calculating based on measurements with the mast down and from hoisting a tape measure once the mast was up. The dimension surprised the sailmaker but it proved to be correct. It will be affected by mast rake and pre-bend, though, which might well differ on your boat from mine.

Anthony Russell

235/02 Sea Wyche

James Hamilton  
#6 Posted : 02 May 2019 18:16:06(UTC)

Just for interest I have what is effectively a large nylon genoa on a 'magic furl' from Crusader sails (a code 0?) and have been very happy with it such that asymmetric has hardly been out of the bag since. It sheets to light snatch blocks tied to the midships cleats then through the spinnaker blocks at the stern to the winches. I find it easier to set when going down wind (with the mainsail set), sails closer to the wind than an asymmetric, and it is very easy to get rid of. Jim Hamilton (Sandy Lady)
Lili235  
#7 Posted : 06 August 2019 14:28:10(UTC)

Any idea how much a new Kite would cost? We have the pole and all the riggind, but not the Spinnaker itself on the Parker 235 we bought a few months ago. Thanks, Dan
MikeB  
#8 Posted : 06 August 2019 17:12:01(UTC)

I just paid £685 for a cruising chute / asymmetric and £250 for a snuffer.
Mike Ball

P235 No 36 "Juicy Blue"

MikeB  
#9 Posted : 06 August 2019 17:13:52(UTC)

By the way, going back to my original post, distance from halyard top to end of pole measured with mast up....10m exactly !
Mike Ball

P235 No 36 "Juicy Blue"

Lili235  
#10 Posted : 20 October 2019 20:08:01(UTC)

Thanks for this Mike

We’ve now got the spinnaker pole and having taken Lili out the water in Thornham Marina we are a little confused. It’s definitely an asymmetric right? Does the pole clip onto the ring just behind the anchor-holder (in front of the bow hold window)?

Can’t really work out how the snuffler might work - does anyone have a link to a photo?! (Nothing in the manual)

MikeB  
#11 Posted : 24 October 2019 11:04:06(UTC)

The front of the pole passes through a stainless steel hoop on the port side of the forestay fitting and the rear clips onto a u-bolt on the front of the cabin top. Thus configured it forms a short bowsprit onto which the tack of the asymetric is attached.

The snuffer should have a continuous uphaul/downhaul. The head of the spinnaker is attached to the a loop insde the top of the snuffer. The halyard is attached to the top of the snuffer.

Hope that helps.

Mike

Mike Ball

P235 No 36 "Juicy Blue"