cptday@globalnet.co.uk
2023-08-22T21:21:00Z
I unfortunately suffered a broken mast, and looking to see if anyone has replaced a mast on the P31.

The original mast profile from Zspars (Z380) is no longer made and the recommended new profile is too wide to fit onto the keel mast plate as too tight against the keel casing. Potentially a Seldon profile will fit and being investigated.

I am interested to hear if anyone has replaced a mast and find out which mast they used and any other information that might be of assistance etc

Thanking you

Chris Day

P31 Sula

Christopher Day

P31/5 Sula

Pat Morgan
2023-08-22T21:38:53Z
I have not had to deal with that problem. If I had I would be inclined to contact Evolution Rigging at Suffolk Yacht Harbour, who together with One Sails at the same place seem to know what they are doing.
cptday@globalnet.co.uk
2023-08-23T08:14:22Z
Thanks Pat, yes already have Richard from Evolution Rigging on the case, which is good news.

I posted this in case someone else had a similar experience they could share.

Christopher Day

P31/5 Sula

Paul Morris
2023-08-23T10:29:04Z
Hi Chris.

I have White Light P31/6.

A few weeks ago I had a chain plate /bulkhead failure on the port side. Which I would advise all P31 owners to check extensively as there were no external signs of this because the bulkhead is fibre glassed in, so not visible.

This caused the bulkhead to tear in half and split the deck. (Not good 😌).

On taking the mast down, it was found cracked at the forestay fitting.

I have been quoted for a new mast by Z spars and the section is Z401.

Thanks for your post.

I have checked and this new section is 29mm wider and 45mm deeper, and I have now contacted the repairers to have it checked and I will let you know the outcome.

Regards Paul

cptday@globalnet.co.uk
2023-08-23T21:39:34Z
Paul

Thanks, interested to hear what your outcome is

Chris

Christopher Day

P31/5 Sula

Ben8184
2023-09-13T12:30:35Z
Hi Chris, do you know what caused your mast to break?

Ben

cptday@globalnet.co.uk
2023-09-13T13:37:11Z
Ben

Shroud Cotter pin came out of the chain plate, had not noticed split pin was missing! I had thought it was taped up, but not checked it so can’t be certain what caused split pin to disappear. Something which will be regularly checked from now onwards

Chris

Christopher Day

P31/5 Sula

cptday@globalnet.co.uk
2024-01-08T17:02:03Z
Update, rightly or wrongly I have been advised to go for a Selden C137 section mast, this is ordered and delivery is expected circa late March, will know more in the spring!

Having heard about Paul's bulkhead issues, mine have been inspected and are sound, although we have lengthened the chain plates to give space for two more bolts.

Chris Day

P31 No. 5 Sula

Christopher Day

P31/5 Sula