Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Neil Sinclair  
#1 Posted : 08 January 2020 20:15:38(UTC)

When Andiamo came into our lives, the drop keel was rusty and 17 years later the rust was just that much thicker. In my eternal quest for sailing efficiency, I decided it was time the bit of the drop keel that poked out of the bottom was painted. I bought a chipping hammer and for several days blighted the boat yard with my racket. The resulting surface looked much like black volcanic lava, but the angle grinder smoothed it off a bit. Unknown to me - the black dust was percolating out of the little gaps at the top of the keel case and polluting the saloon. Anyway a coat of primer paint and five coats of black enamel made the drop keel look a lot slicker. Launching day came and the presence of the new slick keel was overshadowed by a brand new mainsail. Did we go any faster? I don't know! We are now back in the boat yard and there is not a trace of the paint on the keel left. It has all been worn away by the keel ups and downs. I don't think I'll bother with this again - does anybody paint their drop keel?
Neil Sinclair

Seal 28/27

'Andiamo of Exe'