PaulBurton
2007-01-23T17:57:58Z
I could get a days sailing this Friday (26/01/07) but is it to cold...

Forecast is fair wind and fair weather but.....2 degrees !!!!

With around 20 mph wind the wind chill will be evil...

Will I regret going ? or if I wrap up well could it be the best sail of this year ???

My signature.

Parker 235/ 40 Lady Penelope...

Paul Burton.

Wayfarer no.9362

2007-01-23T18:34:35Z
Technically never too cold BUT...

make sure you can open the hatch! I went to mine today and no way in - the whole coach roof frozen over and the hatch was NOT going to slide!

Stephen Godber

235/51 "Exodus"

PaulBurton
2007-01-23T19:01:26Z
We haven't got any snow yet........!

My signature.

Paul Burton.

Wayfarer no.9362

PaulBurton
2007-01-24T11:18:12Z
Sorry if my posting has offended anyone...

Just thought this being a general chat area of the fourm and the protocol says this forum is for "matters relating to their use and enjoyment"

It would be a good place to ask a sensible question..

This is my first year of "out of season" sailing, and would value response's from more experienced sailors....

SORRRRRYYYYY.....

My signature.

Paul Burton.

Wayfarer no.9362

Richard Seaby
2007-01-24T16:54:36Z
I cant imagine how this could offend anybody -

However for what it is worth from my limited experience - if you haven't got heating on you boat, I find anything but gently drifting in f2 or 3 too cold. Even then I only go out for an hour or so if it is sunny.

I come from a sea kayaking background so I tend to over dress, and assume I will get wet. If you get wet, then the cold sets in really quickly this time of year - it is amazing how bad your decision become when you are cold. Take a hot drink in a flask - if you do get wet/cold heating up drinks on a stove takes to long and is often not convenient.

Hope I am not stating the obvious!

Good luck if you do go out - it can be really pretty and very empty (I am on the Solent)

Claudia Jean, SS 26 - No100, Keyhaven

Claudia Jean, SS 26 - No100, Keyhaven
2007-01-26T18:21:10Z
How cold is too cold to sail?

Well, last year in January when we had just picked up the boat, I couldn't restrain myself and just had to launch it. It as so cold that my wife, bless her, took the ice scraper from the car and scraped the decks clear of ice so that we wouldn't slide over the side.

Was ggoingout a sensible thing to do? Maybe not, but we did have the lake to ourselves!

We did have some experience. We had raced a wayfarer through two or three winters, at one point even breaking ice to launch( this was Ali's ideas - honestly)

As always, good equipment and a dose of cautious common sense is the way to go. We haven't been out in as much cold this year, however.

Brian and Ali Fisher

P235 Thrift