Stephen Godber
2007-02-08T15:09:26Z
I'm considering a can of Prop-o-Drev to protect the lower half of my tender's outboard, which is permanentely immersed, and I wonder whether to do my Parker outboard too. As I have not yet fitted it I'm not sure how high the engine slides up out of the water when not in use - I have bought a Tohatsu 6HP SailDrive Short Shaft...does this slide up completely clear of the water for the blanking plate to be fitted, or is that just for when the engine is removed completely? If not, can someone give me a clue as to how much engine remains immersed? (Please note I believe the design changed on recent boats so that short shaft engines could be used, so it may be different on older 235's?) Thanks!
Stephen Godber

235/51 "Exodus"

PaulBurton
2007-02-08T16:49:15Z
You will have the rounded blanking plate that allows you to lift the engine and instert the plate. The outboard then sits on the blanking plate. You will have the newer extended rudder stock that lets you sail with the engine up....!!!

You might find that the bottom couple of inches (just the skeg) will me submersed depending on how much gear you have on the boat.

I can raise my engine onto the cavitation plate when moored, but the engine anode is clear of water, so would not be a good idea. I only lift it if we are going to dry out.

My signature.

Parker 235/ 40 Lady Penelope...

Paul Burton.

Wayfarer no.9362

Stephen Godber
2007-02-09T11:16:31Z
Thanks Paul - very helpful! I'll not spend £15 on primer and £25 on Prop-o-Drev just for the skeg, and I'll use the nub end of a tin for the outboard on the tender. Thanks for your help - there may be many more questions when I come to begin rigging it!![:I]
Stephen Godber

235/51 "Exodus"