PaulBurton
2007-03-17T08:11:48Z
Does anyone have a problem with ventilation ????

My 235 has become quite mouldy this winter...

I have been day sailing then shutting it up for a few weeks. When I come back to it there is often signs of mould.

Is this just because I have had a leaking window or lack of ventilation.

There is a ventilator in the heads but if the door is left shut the cabin has no ventilation.

I have an opening hatch above the galley, but is left shut when not on-board. There is also no ventilation in the forward storage area.

I can't see anywhere to add ventilation into the roof with out being in the way...

Has anyone added a vent into the washboard. ?????

Am I the only one with this problem...I have no shore power !!

My signature.

Parker 235/ 40 Lady Penelope...

Paul Burton.

Wayfarer no.9362

Don Harvey
2007-03-18T13:21:18Z
Paul

You can get containers of dehumidifying crystals from most hardware shops. These are quite efficient in the absence of a mains dehumidifier.

Regards

Don Harvey

Web Master

Parker 325 'Calypso'

Regards

Don Harvey

2007-03-18T13:32:33Z
Hi Paul. I wonder if it all stems from your window leak. As you know, my boat is brand new and bone dry, nevertheless I've been watching for any signs of damp but there are none. I have the heads ventilator and also one over the galley which I chose rather than the opening light so that there is ALWAYS air flow. I also have the sea cocks open to the sinks and sea toilet, the taps 'up', and the transducer / log 'hole' unblanked, giving another opening for ventilation. I then make sure the heads door is open as well as the door to the front locker. Finally I have a little crystal de-humidifier which I top up every fortnight - they only cost a few pounds from chandlers or caravan shops. So far this has all worked, although as I say there has never been water inside, there is no damp equipment stored and I may find next winter it is harder to keep it dry!
Stephen Godber

235/51 "Exodus"

david boyle
2007-03-18T14:19:27Z
Hi Paul

I had same problem. I purchased dehumidifying crystals from

woolworths @£2.50ea.Put one container in forward locker and

another on cabin floor.

Its suprising how much water they collect,seems to have solved the problem

Be Be 235/49

Be Be 235/49
Geoff Harwood
2007-03-18T15:29:34Z
My mains dehumidifier extracts about 8 litres a week out of my P21. It would take a lot of crystals to shift that amount. I do have a little gap between the hatch and the top of the top washboard (about 1cm) so presumably that's where it's getting in.

Geoff

Geoff Harwood
2007-03-18T15:31:03Z
My mains dehumidifier extracts about 8 litres a week out of my P21. It would take a lot of crystals to shift that amount. I do have a little gap between the hatch and the top of the top washboard (about 1cm) so presumably that's where it's getting in.

Geoff

PaulBurton
2007-03-18T17:29:24Z
Thanks for the replys...I have seen those things in Woolworths...didn't know if they were any good !!!

Think some of the problem is with day sailing. Sail...lunch, kettle on, steam and people inside for half an hour..sail....get changed inside...then lock up for 2 weeks....!!

Will nip into Woolworths tomorrow....

My signature.

Parker 235/ 40 Lady Penelope...

Paul Burton.

Wayfarer no.9362

Graham Ebb
2007-03-18T21:57:29Z
Hi Paul,

I did not go for the opening hatches in the heads or galley for the very reason you mentioned. The hatches are great when your on the boat but it leaves the boat without trickle vent once closed.

The crystal moisture collectors work really well, but be careful, the crystals and the liquid collected are quite corrosive if spilt.

I dropped some dry crystals in the cabin, swept up the spill but did not wash the area. The dust eat into aluminium base plate of the table and left black stains on it that will not polish out.

I still use these crystals but with great care!

Graham Ebb

235/25 Blue Jazz

2007-03-19T11:41:19Z
Yes Paul. I agree with Graeme, DO BE CAREFUL as the resultant collected liquid is horrible, sticky and corrosive. Also, the crystals are expensive in small packages, but I twigged this years ago and bought a 25kilo drum of Calcium Chloride (which is all it is) for about £20. It has lasted me 10 years so far and is still only half empty! Obviously you need to make sure the tub is sealed each time, but it is the cheapest way to buy refill crystals!

Stephen Godber

235/51 Exodus

Stephen Godber

235/51 "Exodus"