PaulBurton
2007-03-18T07:27:48Z
Has anyone been to the Broads,(with their own boat).?????

Looking into going at Easter...

Haven't been to before...looking for somewhere to launch and leave the car and trailer....

My signature.

Parker 235/ 40 Lady Penelope...

Paul Burton.

Wayfarer no.9362

2007-03-18T13:47:11Z
Paul - when we lived in Lincolnshire I always felt the best way to 'do the Broads' was to drive there, park at a pub by a swing bridge with a fast tide, get a seat by the water and simply watch! All of life passes by, marriages are tested, insurers rub their hands, and your own boat is safely at home!!!! Seriously, it is a great place, but many hire boats so hirers not too bothered what they hit or use to stop! Read Micheal Green "The art of Coarse Sailing" before you go![:D]
Stephen Godber

235/51 "Exodus"

david boyle
2007-03-18T15:13:30Z
Paul

I've been going at easter for the past 13yrs with Trail Sail Ass.

(But this year I'm going to river orwell)

We launch at Martham Boat Yard.

Good slip but facilities not very good

Room to park car and trailer.

If you are interested in meeting up with the T.S.A.give Steve Seale

a ring 01642 596234. There's normally 2 other 235 there.

Be Be 235/49

Be Be 235/49
Tony Nield
2007-03-30T15:35:19Z
Paul re Broads

I took S22 Dee Rover to the Broads for the first time last Easter on a Trail Sail Assocn rally. Great company, good fun, but I was unimpressed by the sailing. Narrows, not broads, -- so shallow we were constantly running into the mud,.... and bridges!! It takes far too much trouble to raise & lower an S22 mast to be doing it every day.

We launched at Martham boatyard-- easy launching,parking etc. It is east of Potter Heigham bridge which keeps most of the gin palace hullabaloos at bay.

I am not planning to return unless in, say, a big sailing dinghy set up for shooting bridges. As a northerner it is not worth the long haul of 200+miles, for that I can reach the Clyde for superb cruising; for 100 miles or less I can be on any of the Lakes, or more demanding sailing round Anglesey or Cardigan Bay, or the Solway Firth.

Anyway it's worth trying it once, good luck , Tony "Dee Rover"

PaulBurton
2007-04-04T21:45:07Z
Going to the Broads tomorrow....

Launching at Wayford bridge....launch, recover and 5 days car/trailer storage £20.00...

Weather is looking good......

Can't wait..

My signature.

Paul Burton.

Wayfarer no.9362

PaulBurton
2007-04-15T21:18:35Z
Well we did it and had a fantastic time...

One of the best bits was going to Neatishead.

We headed in late in the afternoon. It is very narrow with loads of trees... We had a forty odd foot wide beam hire boat behind us.

The trees over hang the river and the mast kept pulling twiggs off..

Then it got shallow and the keel was on the bottom...winch away then the rudder is in the mud....

But we made it and this was the result...

UserPostedImage

As you can see my daughter loves feeding the swans and ducks..This is what it is all about....will go back again...

If anyone wants details of where we launched let me know...the yard is straight off the main road...has loads of room ...the slip could not be better..plus we had a free mooring with electric and water...

Paul Burton.

Paul Burton.

Wayfarer no.9362

PaulBurton
2007-04-15T21:24:13Z
here is the slipway...

UserPostedImage

Paul Burton.

Paul Burton.

Wayfarer no.9362

2007-04-16T11:41:01Z
Excellent Paul - looks like a great weekend!

Stephen Godber

235/51 "Exodus"

Stephen Godber

235/51 "Exodus"