Geoff Harwood
2007-06-07T20:32:38Z
I'm not sure that would work! If "boat" did a few 360s in succession, wouldn't the chain from "mooring buoy" to "swivel" just wind itself round the riser? If the swivel was just under the buoy in the riser, I could imagine it storing up the twists till it overcame the friction in the swivel without unravelling your rope. My mooring is ALL chain so can't unravel and can't get chewed through by the bow-roller cheeks!

Geoff Harwood P21/30 Cygnus
Stephen Godber
2007-06-08T12:29:56Z
Thanks both!

Sean - Hmm, the drawing; I'm no artist! I agree with your swivel under the buoy option, although part of it is the way I've drawn it....in reality if the wind is pulling the boat back the two chains effectively become one, joined at the base of the buoy, in a straight line and thus able to swivel (I think!).

Geoff - I understand that chain stronger than rope, but there is no suppression in chain, whilst rope allows some 'give' or damping to prevent snatching on the mooring cleats. I take the point about wear though and have protected the rope through the bow roller cheeks with a very easily replaceable piece of alkathene pipe, which is working fine.

I guess I need to see how it works - it either will or it won't, and if it doesn't I'll be back boring with details of the Mark 2 !!!!!!!!

Stephen Godber
235/51 "Exodus"

Stephen Godber
235/51 "Exodus"