June T
2007-04-25T19:46:13Z
After three very happy years with Sealena (Seal 22, no 213), we’re thinking of going bigger… I’ve sailed a 26, and liked it a lot, but think that maybe a 27 or 275 would be better in terms of sleeping accommodation etc. However, I’ve only sailed a 275 very briefly, and a 27 not at all. So, wondered what anyone thinks of the similarities/differences between the two?

Some things are more obvious (the electric winch being one) but it would be good to have some views as to how they both sail, in different conditions, and any other factors? We’re not so much into racing but have enjoyed the 22’s speed and dinghy-ness. We also want to be able to go further afield and explore pastures new so wonder about stability, performance in heavier weather, etc...

Any input would be appreciated!

June

June T

Sealena 22/213

John Williams
2007-04-27T11:14:53Z
I am very pleased with everything about my 275. I find it is easy and fun to sail in all conditions. It's big enough for 2 to cruise with a fair amount of comfort. We intend to spend 3 weeks away in ours this year ...only work stopping it being longer. My mainsheet is fitted in the cockpit which I have no problems with. I have seen a 275 with a track on the coach roof with the mainsheet going to a jammer. I personally wouldn't like that and would change it. The 275 surfs really well.... very dinghy like.

John Williams

275/60 CRYSTAL

John Williams

GWENLLI

Beneteau 323

Don Harvey
2007-04-27T12:20:34Z
June

Outwardly the 27 and 275 look almost identical, however, Parkers made significant improvement in the quality of the inside on the 275 then 275HS (which has a double rear bunk across the boat). The 275 also had increased stability with the ballast being increased from 5000 on the 27 to 5500 lbs on the 275. Incidentally, there is very little difference between the 275HS and 285HS (identical hull).

I haven't sailed a 27 but did own a 275 for 4 three years and cruised extensively before moving up to the 325. We very much enjoyed the 275.

Regards

Don Harvey

Web Master

Parker 325 'Calypso'

Regards

Don Harvey

June T
2007-05-10T23:00:42Z
It looks like the 275 wins, on this ultra small sample.. I’m encouraged that it retains the 22’s dinghy-ness, for those of us who have never grown up properly!

John, I’ve put my response on the mainsheet issue on the other topic (‘275 mainsheet system?’)

June

June T

Sealena 22/213

Ken Surplice
2007-05-12T09:15:32Z
Hello June,

We bought our 275 on impulse, after many happy years in our 21. I am rather tall but fit nicely in the forecabin bed. I cannot stand in the main cabin, but this is good as it means I can get out of washing up chores (unless it is sunny and I do it in the cockpit). We can easily cruise for two weeks as a family of four, without fussing over what goes there. That said, more space would always be welcome. To us, the 275 feels like a larger 21, very responsive, fun but more steady and no wet bottom when sitting out and helming in a chop.

Cheers-Ken

Ken Surplice

Vice Commodore

Ken
sean
2007-05-13T20:54:20Z
hmmm, i think you are all missing one big point here, and that is the approx 10k difference in price.

I fancied a 275, but after a good look around i could not justify the extra money needed for the 275 when a 27 is virtually the same, (and arguably faster).

Dont get me wrong i would have loved the 275 but with a young family my prioritys were to keep everyone happy on a limited budget.

So i think the answer to your question is how much money have you got.

In the 27's defence, i bought nosy last year from down brighton way and i have just started racing it up north, first proper race was yesterday and all i can say is, is what a brilliant boat, the race started in 25 knots and 1 mile into it we had wind over tide swell with breaking crests and the yachts next to me disappearing from sight in the troughs, but the boat coped marvelously ( iwas single handing as well) never having me woried.

As the race progressed and the wind dropped to 15 knots the boat really got going under full sail and took line honours over many 34 footers and bigger.

They are a cracking boat and you really feel them power up with each tweak you make.

you makes yer choice, yer pays yer money.

Ken Surplice
2007-05-17T15:00:13Z
Hello Sean, of course you are right about the price difference. When I said we got ours on impulse, I really did mean it. We liked our 21, saw a 275 for sale in one of the yottie magazines one day. After a couple of words across the tabke, rang up and that was that! What is the boating equivalent of an unplanned child?

Cheers-Ken

Ken Surplice

Vice Commodore

Ken