Don Harvey
2007-05-04T21:46:56Z
Those 325/335 owners who have seen the modifications on my 325 on the Mods and Maintenance page http://www.parkerseal.org.uk/articles/modsmaint.aspx  may be interested in two additional fixtures that are intended to improve safety and assist the helm when short handed.

1 - Command Mic to the DSC Radio

The ability of some radios to have a command mic is not unique, but I find it invaluable when wanting to make/answer a call when on the wheel. I have a Vertex Standard VM-3500E DSC-VHF radio which I can highly recommend. I have the additional command mike, which provides all the major facilities of the radio, fixed within reach of the helming position. Although there is a speaker in the mic I also have an external speaker in the cockpit.

UserPostedImage

Incidentally - this radio has two other handy features. If one fixes a small loud speaker - an optional extra (mine is under the radar scanner), the radio will:
a) sound off the appropriate fog signals (sailing; anchored and others not sail related), so alleviating the crew from having to time and make sounds with hand held horns.
b) enable the crew to use it as a hailer (through the radio mic) and hear responses (the speaker is also a sensitive mic).

2 - Chart Plotter

On our 275 I had a chart plotter at the Chart Table which I found quite inconvenient. On the 325 I have a Yeoman Plotter at the chart table for chart work but a hand-held Geonav 4C at the helm. This receives 12v from the ships supply so batteries are no problem. The Geonav is to be recommended. The display is easily seen in sunlight - (as can clearly be seen in the photograph).
To fix the chart plotter I purchased a GPS suction Pad Holder from Force Four Chandlery

http://www.force4.co.uk/Product...2-4ec8-90a2-329736db7568 

I took off the small GPS holder and fixed the Geonav bracket instead. I fixed it at an angle to improve the viewing angle when attached to the pedestal.

UserPostedImage

Fixing it this way enables me to remove it easily when no longer needed and when leaving the boat.

Hope members find these ideas useful.

Regards
Don Harvey
Web Master
Parker 325 'Calypso'
Regards
Don Harvey
2007-05-07T05:36:41Z
Hi Don,Your VHF And Plotter locations look idial,Ifound the VHF inside a real bother when on the helm,so when i changed to a navman dsc set i got a spare mounting bracket which i fixed to the handhold in the companionway where i can reach the fist mic quite easly,i also added a speaker in the cockpit,makes things a bit safer when solo.regards,Tom Fitzgerald.Grey Seal.