Cathie Cunnison
2007-10-11T14:34:31Z
I would be grateful to receive your thoughts on the Newsletter. Do you read it? What do you find interesting? Is there anything else that could be included? Would you be more likely to contribute if it was less formal and included colour photos?

If you go to rallies and functions, do you find the information in the Newsletter, from flyers included with the Newsletter or from the web? Would you subscribe to an occasional PSSA email service that kept you up to date about latest events?

All comments gratefully received.

Cathie Cunnison

Newsletter Editor
PaulBurton
2007-10-11T18:09:27Z
I do read the news letter and do enjoy them.

Less formal would be good and colour photos would be great, especially with the photo competition running.

I use the web site and as most know I use this forum a far bit. But I do like getting a news letter. Just like I read sailing articles on the web I also buy Sailing today and PBO.

A PSSA email service would be good, it is always good to remind people of upcoming events.

Paul Burton.

Parker 235/ 40 Lady Penelope...

Paul Burton.

Wayfarer no.9362
Graham Ebb
2007-10-15T12:59:13Z
Hi Cathie,
I think the news letter is great and any thing that would extend its content would be welcome. I always read it, its a good way to know what is going on, especially when you cant get to places yourself. For us more northerly folk, its a life line. Colour photos would be good, perhaps we could try to extend the content to include articles about boat maintenance and improvements that people make, perhaps something on the lines of the "Practical Projects" section of PBO, but specially related to our boats.
Long may it continue.

Graham Ebb
235/25 Blue Jazz
2007-10-15T13:01:02Z
Hi Cathie,

I too enjoy receiving a physical newsletter, despite always checking the forum as well.

There are times when you want to read stuff away from a screen!

Colour would be great, but presumably costs more?

Content fine, although perhaps a Parker Page for updates on factory production, modifications, build numbers etc?

Stephen Godber
235/51 "Exodus"

Stephen Godber
235/51 "Exodus"
Don Harvey
2007-10-16T15:12:04Z
Hi Cathie

I think you do a sterling job with the Newsletter and personally would not like to see its quality reduced.

I’m not sure what you mean by less formal – presumably no stiff cover? If this saves money then I’ll go along with that but Brenda has every newsletter from 1972 in the archive and the older ones (which were a simply cheap paper with no hard cover) are in a sorry state. No problem as soon as the stiff cover was introduced. I’m sure members who save their Newsletters may have a view on this also.

However, if funding is the driver there are other aspects you might consider. e.g.

http://www.sandhopper.org.uk/  another of Bill’s boats). It may be possible to set up a secure page if necessary.

2 – Find out who in the Association would be happy to obtain their flyers only off the web. These appear shortly after being received so members can see them without having to wait for their Newsletters.

3 – I suggest you limit the use of colour pictures if this is likely to increase the cost.

On the issue of prescribing to an e-mail service – you may be making a rod for your own back. You may remember that when I was on the committee I tried to set up an e-mail distribution list to notify members of events etc. I e-mailed everyone in the membership handbook (or tried to). Those that replied were in favour, but many didn’t reply.

a) Many of the emails bounced (possibly explaining why I received no reply)
b) People changed addresses that I was unaware of making it impossible to maintain an accurate list.

I suspect that even if you only set the distribution list to those who want to be included, you’ll have the problem of bouncing messages for various reasons which can be time consuming to sort out.

However , why use e-mail when we have a web site? If members are on the internet they will be able to read any announcements off the web (the primary reason I set up the Association Notices forum for the committee.)

Other ideas

a) Introduce some competitions
b) Encourage more members to contribute articles (difficult I know).
i. I’m not sure how many members know there is a Newsletter Prize for the best log submitted. Perhaps this needs highlighting frequently.
ii. We used to receive many useful modifications to boats of the Association and I think this should be encouraged (as I try to do with the maintenance page on the web site) Perhaps owners of the Seal craft were more inventive than those with Parker boats; or perhaps they are just happy with their boats – I don’t know. I’m sure many members don’t realise that the handbooks for the Seal 22/28 etc were put together by Geoff Harwood from the articles in Newsletters sent in by members. Why not a prize for the best modification submitted in the year also?

Regards
Don Harvey
Web Master

Regards
Don Harvey
philip linsell
2007-10-19T14:21:54Z
quote:
Originally posted by Cathie Cunnison

I would be grateful to receive your thoughts on the Newsletter. Do you read it? What do you find interesting? Is there anything else that could be included? Would you be more likely to contribute if it was less formal and included colour photos?

If you go to rallies and functions, do you find the information in the Newsletter, from flyers included with the Newsletter or from the web? Would you subscribe to an occasional PSSA email service that kept you up to date about latest events?

All comments gratefully received.

Cathie Cunnison

Newsletter Editor

Cathie
You do a great job with the newsletter, it's what binds the association together.
Colour would be good, if not too expensive.
I enjoy the snippits and short notes that appear occasionally, sometmes when I send them!
Updating on rallies is well covered in the solent by our area officer, Peter, he E mails and rings round those who attend rallies with reminders and information. Perhaps the other areas should follow, if they don't already.
We must be careful to not get too internet based, some members are not connected.
Modifications etc seem to have tailed off, perhaps a reminder to send them to you, or could Geoff Harwood resorect some old 'good' ones?
Philip Linsell
roger roach
2007-11-02T16:53:06Z
Cathie while I agree that colour pics etc would be great Isuggest that it is confined to the front cover only as the least expensive option. I look forward to reading every issue but would see the Newsletter as complimenting the web site,rather than 'doing the same job'
Keep up the great work

Rakaia 335

Roger
Roger