DGleeson
2004-11-17T15:36:00Z
I'm going to add a headsail roller reefing to my Super Seal 26 this winter. I'm looking for advice from anyone who has converted to headsail roller reefing in the recent past.

I also want to use the existing headsails when racing. I think Profurl have a system whereby the drum has a slot which allows the luff to pass up the foil without the need to remove the drum. Does anyone know of other manufacturers which allow existing headsails to be used?

Donal Gleeson

Mike Edwards
2004-11-17T15:37:00Z
I fitted a Plastimo system 810 (cheepest around)to my Seal 28 three years ago and it works fine for me.

It was easy to fit over the existing forestay without lowering the mast. (I renewed the forestay at the time of fitting anyway)

I had 2 of the original hanked on sails altered to include a luff rope to fit into the roller reefing spar. (No1 jib and Genoa)

I had a new Genoa made last year and this sets well when fully unfurled, but reefed it still needs to be altered to include foam padding on the luff.

I can lower the genoa (slides down the spar easily) and put on the old no 1 jib, which is better in windy conditions, and still have the benefit of being able to reef or furl it from the cockpit.

I have since rigged another u bolt just behind the reefing drum where I can attach a temporary/emergency 7x19 wire forestay, this enables me to hank on a storm jib.

The 7x19 5mm wire can also act as am emergency halliard.

Mike Edwards

Mike Edwards

Seal 28 "Aztec"

2004-11-17T15:37:00Z
Donal,

Most roller reefers (usually infact they are more accuratly called roller furlers) use a foil section which includes a slot above the drum to allow easy sail changes. I have three sails which I inter-change depending on conditions. It takes about two or three minutes. If you wish to race then a section with two grooves allows you to hoist a sail change in the lee of the in use sail. When cruising this also would allow you to fly two genoas and drop the main on a run (if you are ever lucky enough to get on a run!!)

Hope this is of help

Regards

Dave

Dave Kenyon

2006-09-06T03:04:00Z
funny ringtones

sxj5mcm@dmoz.org

2006-09-23T22:21:00Z
funny ringtones

xsgn7pn@mail.com