David Pocock
2006-04-09T20:21:00Z
After an excellent visit to the boatyard, I have just ordered a 235 for delivery later this year. I wondered what options or customisation experienced users would advise?

Many thanks

David Pocock

David Pocock

David Pocock

Parker 235/52 Arawa

Graham Ebb
2006-04-10T11:39:00Z
Hello David,

Congratulations on your new purchase, I am sure you will not be disappointed. We have number 25 " Blue Jazz", see photos in members photo page. We have completed two season and we are looking foreward to getting her back on here mooring this weekend.

With regards to options, I guess it depends on your personal choice and type of sailing, but a few things worth thinking about might be

a) If not having the spinniker option, do ask for the fittings to be installed, you can then upgrade later with ease.

b) I would recommend a full set of navigation lights.

C) I have the 6hp Tohatsu 4 stroke sail drive, which performs well.

d) When we bought ours the standard water tank was under the companionway. We changed ours to two smaller ones in the forepeak, which makes it easier to lift in two smaller ones than one big one.

e) I would recommend a two speed winch on the starboard side to lift the keel. It is possible with the single speed but it is much easier with the two speed.

f) If you think you might want curtains in the cabin at a later date, ask for wooden bearers to be fitted behind the head lining ready to take the fittings later.

g) We had the hull epoxy coated before anti-foulling, a good investment for the longer term.

As you will realise there are plenty of options to choose from, so sit back and enjoy your deliberations, I hope the above has been helpfull. If you want to ask any other questions please feel free to ask.

Regards

Graham Ebb

Graham Ebb

2006-04-10T19:25:00Z
I'd agree with Graham Ebb's comments, with a couple of extra thoughts:

1. The water tanks relocated to the bow locker work well but ours syphon into the sinks if beating hard! Small plugs fitted to the taps solved this.The space now freed under the steps is big enough for a Waeco CF25 compressor fridge if you want cold beers when cruising! It's a nice thing when cruising.

2. Alternative engine option if the Honda BF6 -it's a bigger engine (but a twin cylinders so a lot quieter and smoother than the Tohatsu which I had on the previous boat)and it's also actualy an 8hp with a mechanical restrictor to the throttle movement which you can alter easily to allow full throttle access. It's a bit heavier (certainly won't fit in the cockpit locker) and Bill has to put a different moulding into the boat during build so you have to specify it up front. NB ask your engine dealer to give you a plastic fuel tank, as the standard tin one is too tall for the cuby-hole.

3. I've just retro-fitted the NASA BF-1 battery monitor which is great - tells you state of charge, volts and amps charging or discharging. Also I specified a slightly bigger 70Ah battery.

4. The standard ventlites above the galley and heads are great- keep the boat well-aired (even disperse steam if you forget the kettle!)and don't let water in so I don't think the optional opening hatches are worth while and they look a bit cumbersome.

5. We went for an Origo meths two burner stove - not gimballed but set into a fore/aft recess to the left of the sink. With the optional pan clamp it works really well and no worries about gas aboard.

6. I delisted the standard anchor and chain and got my own - a Fortress FX-11 aluminium anchor and longer chain - works well and is easy to handle.

7. The zip-in back to the sprayhood is really good for summer mooring - gives you some privacy, keeps the rain out but allows the air to circulate. You get the bonus of two press studs on each cockpit seat to hold the bottom of it down so we had matching ones fitted to a couple of small waterproof foam cushions to keep these in place when sailing.

Some of the fittings Bill uses are definitely selected on price (eg tiller extension, plasticky interior light fittings) so have a good look at options. He's happy to fit better kit at cost. We also got him to fit the mount and wiring for our Garmin 176C GPS/Plotter during the build - much easier!

The 235's brilliant - you'll have loads of fun! W've had ours in all winter and have had some great sailing from Dartmouth

Graham & Dianne Keating

235/22 'Gentoo'

Graham Keating

David Pocock
2006-04-10T22:37:00Z
Thank you both for your very useful suggestions. I will bear them in mind when I return to the yard to agree the final spec. Almost all of my sailing will be day sailing, although I will do some overnighting.

Many thanks.

David Pocock

David Pocock

David Pocock

Parker 235/52 Arawa

John Tanner
2006-04-11T16:12:00Z
I very much agree with Graham keating's thoughts. And...

1. The water tanks in the bow locker are easier to handle (weight). I usually disconnect the pipes if sailing in higher winds.

2. The Honda BF6 -it's a bigger engine, is excellent and reasonably quiet - though at 37kg it is relatively heavy to manhandle. I purchased mine (boat number #34) 16 months ago and I think the 12 litre plastic fuel tank is now standard and fits the fuel locker easily.

3. I too have the 70Ah battery, which works well and seems to hold its charge remarkably - I had the wiring fitted for an additional battery, but I do not think I will need it. I have a 3-stage charger too.

4. The standard ventlites above the galley and heads are adequate, and minimise maintenance problems with hatches.

5. See my (and other) comments on Origo stoves on this P235 discussion site. Works well

6. The sprayhood and zipped in backing are brilliant, for privacy and to exclude the rain.

7. I have found an auto pilot to be a real help. I have the Raymarine ST1000+. Together with the stac-pac lazy jack sail kit, for a single hander these are very good aides to sailing. Have to remember not to fall overboard though!

John Tanner "Billy Ruffian" #34

John Tanner

2006-04-11T20:11:00Z
I have 235 number 40 delivered late September 2005. I ordered the Honda engine, as well as water containers in the forepeak, full nav lights etc. as the two Johns. I did also specify a sea toilet with holding tank and a hatch above the galley. The opening hatch has been useful this winter for letting out steam when using the cooker.

I have subsequently fitted the Origo 1500 cooker. The gimbals require a modified bracket. This cost £6 from a local forge. The cooker gimbals properly and with the clamps has worked better in the cold winter weather to boil the kettle. The gas was very slow in the cold.

I have also found the power cable useful for bringing power on board in order to use a dimplex frost heater. This has kept the yacht free from damp.

The yacht is just great for sailing single handed or with a young crew. I am very pleased with the yacht. The service from Bill Parker and his team was first class.

Good luck with your choices.

Michael Jay

David Pocock
2006-12-01T13:52:00Z
Thanks for all the advice and I have just firmed up the spec with Bill Parker.

Gone for a blue boat with sprayhood, dodgers etc. Spinnaker and snuffer. Lazystack option. Removable traveller. Jackstays (I do a lot of single handed sailing in empty waters up here in the North of Scotland),

Standard interior fabrics etc.

ST1000 autopilot.

The 70A battery with a NASA BM-1 monitor and a solar charging panel (slightly larger than the current spec). I intend to get a second battery to take ashore and charge if necessary.

Standard trailer.

I bought my own LED interior and exterior nav lights for Bill to fit. Tacktick wind, depth and log instruments, and an ICOM 421 VHF. Bill is fitting a Garmin 276c plotter above the nav station but can be swung out so it is visible from the cockpit.

I do not use the engine much (able to sail on and off mooring) so settled for the lightest I could find. Tohatsu 5hp 2-stroke saildrive.

Throughout, Bill has been very patient and free with advice.

Delivery end of Feb.

David Pocock

David Pocock

David Pocock

Parker 235/52 Arawa

PaulBurton
2006-12-03T08:58:00Z
Bet you can't wait....

Paul Burton 235/40 Lady P

Paul Burton

Paul Burton.

Wayfarer no.9362

David Pocock
2006-12-03T16:08:00Z
Well, I was due to take delivery at Christmas but it suited Bill to defer. And there is not a lot of sailing to be done up here before Easter anyway. But you are right.....

Deep into planning a summer cruise around Scotland. Do not think another 235 will beat me to it!

David Pocock

David Pocock

Parker 235/52 Arawa

2006-12-04T10:35:00Z
Or will it?!!!! I am having number 51 and will be bringing it back to the Isle of Mull shortly!! But seriously, I am unlikely to beat you in circumnavigating Scotland!

I expect delivery either just before or after Christmas, though I am waiting to do a Boat Show deal on the Tohatsu like you did at Southampton! I'm going for the 6HP Saildrive. Our boat is blue too (Navy) with blue/grey interior. I've added stack pack, solar panel and keel lock down rod, plus a proper sea toilet / holding tank.

I've ordered Cobra VHF, Garmin 178 colour GPS / sounder and NASA battery monitor. I'm having spinnaker bits fitted but no sail yet!

So that's two new 235's for Scotland - keep in touch!

Stephen Godber

Stephen Godber

235/51 "Exodus"

PaulBurton
2006-12-04T18:50:00Z
I was in talking to Bill today.....

He says he has run out of blue stuff so both your boats will be ready June time.....

Only joking....

I did talk to him today... I am looking at adding a system to adjust the jib cars from the cockpit...I sail single handed a lot and its a pain to keep going forward to adjust...

Paul Burton 235/40

Paul Burton

Paul Burton.

Wayfarer no.9362

2006-12-06T20:46:00Z
Did you see our new boat then (blue or otherwise!) ?

Stephen Godber

Stephen Godber

235/51 "Exodus"

PaulBurton
2006-12-06T21:54:00Z
No.....didn't go in the workshop this time...

Paul Burton

Paul Burton.

Wayfarer no.9362

david boyle
2006-12-08T09:02:00Z
Hi Stephen

Regarding Tohatsu I got a good deal from Extreme Marine Southampton

[Jamie on 07967023610] He's normally on tohatsu stand at boat shows

Dave Boyle 235/49

Be Be 235/49
2006-12-09T11:58:00Z
Hi David - just responded to your original message then saw this! Many thanks, I'm going to the show as need two engines and a tender so the savings will pay for the trip (any excuse to escape 12 hours a day darkness!!). I'll give Jamie a call - thanks!

Stephen Godber

Stephen Godber

235/51 "Exodus"

David Pocock
2006-12-10T20:05:00Z
Stephen

Have been doing some passage planning for my Summer trip. To cross check, how long would you allow for Fort William to Tobermory?

I realise this is a "how long is a piece of string" question but assuming average weather and making the tide gates, is it feasible to manage it in one long day?

Thanks

David Pocock

David Pocock

David Pocock

Parker 235/52 Arawa

2006-12-10T22:27:00Z
Hi David - yes, achievable in one long day if all going your way. The Hebridean Adventure boat winters at Corpach and they sail it up in a day. That said, I'd hate to to take my word for it...alternative to split it and do a night at Oban to be safe!

Stephen Godber

Stephen Godber

235/51 "Exodus"