PaulBurton
2006-11-15T16:50:00Z
I have just bought a new rhino 54lbs thrust electric outboard...

Hope to give it a go on my 235 at the weekend..will let you know how it goes...

Going to put a 85ah leisure battery where the fuel tank usually sits(strapped in)....I will take the battery home everytime to charge.

Using it on rutland water...

Paul Burton 235/40 lady P...

Paul Burton

Paul Burton.

Wayfarer no.9362

PaulBurton
2006-11-18T17:51:00Z
Well ......it worked fine ...

Had to turn the outboard piece of wood so the extra thickness was aft..

Bit of an angle to get it in the hole..

85ah battery strapped in the petrol holder bit...

Pushed us along very well....only used it to get in close to a weather shore for lunch ...then getting back onto a full pontoon...

Has made life a lot easier...it also fits in the cockpit locker when sailing...

very pleased..

Paul Burton 235/40

Paul Burton

Paul Burton.

Wayfarer no.9362

Geoff Harwood
2006-11-23T16:26:00Z
I'm intrigued! Have you any figures as to boat speed vs current used? I make it that 54 lbs thrust at 4 knots would need 173 watts at 100% efficiency.

Geoff

geoff harwood

PaulBurton
2006-11-23T16:51:00Z
No figures yet....will connect an amp meter to it and use the gps for speed....

As I said... only been using it at Rutland water(no petrol allowed) for pontoon work and anchorage....

oh but saying that my amp meter will only do 20amps max...I'll give it a go anyway..

Paul Burton 235/40 Lady P.

Paul Burton

Paul Burton.

Wayfarer no.9362

2006-11-25T09:29:00Z
We have an electric motor at Rutland

For all the people who do no know about Rutland, it's one of the rules when using the centre. It is a drinking water reservoir and so we can't use petrol outboards.

We have a 46lb thust motor, and 80 amp/hour battery and it all works well enough. This is when we are day sailing out of Whitwell. In still air it pushes us along at nearly 3 knots and copes well with pontoon work. We have used it for quite long periods when the wind has died and have yet to come close to running out the battery.

It is not a substitute for the 5hp petrol outboard we have when in other situations. It won't push into much of a breeze and that OK on Rutland. After all- it's a sailing boat and meant to be sailed! Why use the motor when you don't need to?

Brian Fisher

Graham Ebb
2006-11-27T09:51:00Z
I agree with all you say Brian, but what I can not understand is why we are not allowed to used our petrol outboards when there is a fleet of about 60 fishing boats all with 6hp outboards ?

Graham Ebb

PaulBurton
2006-11-27T17:37:00Z
I keep wondering that...

Been out today....motored(electric) head to wind with the main up(reefed) 20mph wind and got 2knots on the log. forgot my ampmeter..

read the Rutland thread for full details..

Paul Burton....

Paul Burton.

Wayfarer no.9362