DuncanHall
2009-09-30T12:19:23Z
A couple of questions relating to the refurbisment of Mañana.
How much antefowl is needed for a Seal Sinbad.
I am looking to replace some of the rigging but there seems a massive choice of material. Any guidence on which brands are appropriate for crusing.
I am looking to replace the guide ropes any suggestions on what material to use.
Mike Edwards
2009-10-02T19:38:36Z
Hello Duncan
Please can you be more explicit, what rigging are you referring to, Standing Rigging (stays, shrouds), Running Rigging (halyards, sheets)
What are the "guide ropes" where are they, what do they do.
I cant help much with the anti-fouling, Probably better to take advice from a 22 owner.
But I am sure I could help with advice on your rigging.

Mike Edwards
Seal 28 "Aztec"
Mike Edwards
Seal 28 "Aztec"
gregfaux
2009-10-02T20:58:55Z
A 2.5 litre tin will be enough for 2 coats on a Seal 22 or Sinbad hull, including an extra coat on leading edges etc...

Greg...
Greg...
Seal 22 - Moonspinner
DuncanHall
2009-10-03T10:18:12Z
Thanks for the comments.

Mike
The guard roper (finger trouble typing) are those that effectivly form the guard rail at the top of the stanchions. I am wary of just using any rope since it may have inappropriate elasticity.

I am looking to replace virtualy all of the rigging ropes

Mike Edwards
2009-10-03T19:28:27Z
Hello Duncan
I would recommend PVC coated 4mm stainless wire for your guard rails. See, http://www.tcschandlery.co.uk/9...-Covered-Guard-Wire.html 
Standing rigging, I would suggest you unstep your mast, take off your existing stainless shrouds and stays, leave the rigging screws & any toggles attached to their respective wire, incase they need to be replaced as well, label them clearly and take them to your local rigger and ask their advice, but as a guide I should think 5mm 1/19 stainless wire would be suitable.
I would not recommend making the new standing rigging yourself, this is a job for professional equipment.
Running rigging, traditionally a low stretch polyester rope was used for halyards, e.g. King Braid. For sheets a soft hairy rope was preferred to aid grip by hand, e.g. Kingfisher 16 Plait Matt Polyester. But nowadays a lot of people just use what is called Braid on Braid for all the running rigging. This is a polyester rope with low stretch and is normally soft to the touch and easy to coil.
for examples see, http://www.tcschandlery.co.uk/c/237/Ropes.html 
Sorry about the plug for TCS but they are local to me and seem to stock most things, they also do mail order and have a rigging service.
Hope this helps.

Mike Edwards
Seal 28 "Aztec"
Mike Edwards
Seal 28 "Aztec"
DuncanHall
2009-10-03T22:13:36Z
Thanks for the advice.