rcw
  • rcw
  • Member Topic Starter
2013-05-05T00:16:17Z
My Seal 28 is fitted with Lewmar 30 self-tailing 2-speed winches, one of which has become extremely stiff. I'd therefore like to overhaul it but am having difficulty finding documents or videos describing the procedure on the Internet.

http://www.lewmar.com/as...anual%20B2304%20iss6.pdf  but it doesn't seem to match my winch in that the selftailing assembly (page 21) is not secured by a screw-ring as shown.

Please can anyone offer a reference to some useful documentation? I don't know how to get started because there are no obvious screws or clips to allow me to get into the winch.

Thanks,

Richard

Seal 28/66 Minimosh

Andrew D
2013-05-05T16:54:12Z
All the Lewmar double speed self tailers I have taken to bits for greasing have chrome screwed cap on the top which can be difficult to unscrew as the dimples are for tightening and not unscrewing. Winches that are not ST have a circlip that has to be taken off. After that is a simple take to bits job and remember where all the bits and pieces came from!

If your winches are older items they may be different but I cant remember seeing different. If all fails phone Lewmar technical dept. I am sure they will be happy to help.

rcw
  • rcw
  • Member Topic Starter
2013-05-07T16:42:35Z
Thanks Andrew.

I contacted Lewmar in Havant (023 92471841). It appears that the self-tailing Lewmar 30 fitted to my Seal has a single-piece top which should unscrew.

Recommendation is to insert a wooden lever in the self-tailer and to unscrew the head, possibly with the aid of a hammer. I understand there's some risk that the self-tailer will fracture in the process :-(

The chap from Lewmar was very helpful and says he'll email me the PDF of the schematic of this winch and also put it on-line.

Richard

Minimosh 28/66

johniow
2013-05-09T18:46:23Z
As Andrew says, the dimples are for tightening! I've just been down to my boat and had a look. There are two little insets opposite each other so one can apply an even force. A hammer may help - I'd use a wooden drift between the winch top and the hammer! and not hammer directly onto the winch cover. See if you can get some penetrating oil (eg, Plus Gas) under the cap and leave overnight. WD 40 isn't penetrating oil - it's what is says on the tin - /W/ater /D/ispersant (I wonder what happened to numbers 1-39?).

I serviced mine when I bought Nosey and guess it's time to do it again. I washed the pieces in paraffin, more oily than petrol, and then sparingly applied Lewmar's winch grease as in the directions. Salt will collect on excess grease. I believe that giving the winches a good hosing with fresh water helps keep the salt and grit out. Which reminds me, do order a winch overhaul kit, which will contain spare springs etc. Try an online search for it. If no luck, email me and I'll see if I can find my source.

John

<i>Nosey</i> Parker 326-26

Nosey - Parker 325-26
Mike Lockwood
2013-05-13T01:17:52Z
I have a pdf file about servicing Lewmar winches including, I hope, yours. However, I don't seem to be able to give you a URL or send it to the PSSA forum.

I could attach it to an email if you would give me your email address. Also, Geoff may be able to put it on the PSSA website if I send it to him by email.

Please would both of you let me know what to do.

Mike Lockwood

Lucky Devil

Parker 325/35

Mike Lockwood

Lucky Devil

Parker 325/35