Mac Wester
2014-03-23T19:14:36Z
Hello, my first post - I'm a bilge keeler as per username and am looking for advice on selling a Seal 22.
This was my mates' boat but he passed away this week and I have been asked by his wife to sell this and other effects - Rob had mentioned this site but I don't know if he had registered or not.

We took the boat by low loader from Portsmouth Camber to outside his workshop last year and he has been working when not busy on various jobs around the vessel. Until his illness took over he had made and fitted teak decking to the cockpit, replaced lower rudder blade, renewed parts of rubbing strake and stripped off all antifouling ready for coppercoating.

My questions for advertising purposes are;

I understand there are 3 versions and wonder which one this is
With a 5hp 4 stroke Honda, what would be a realistic price for a quick sale (difficult question but I'm hopeful that people here can help)
Would anyone on here be interested.

Looking forward to your replies.

Thanks

Steve

UserPostedImage 

UserPostedImage 

UserPostedImage 

UserPostedImage 

UserPostedImage 
MrT
2014-03-25T19:20:43Z
Sorry for the loss of your friend.

It might be a mark 2. Can you unroll the mainsail and see if there's a sail number on it? Does she have a name on the stern?

If those photos are current, and that's how she looks today, unfinished with lots of work still to do, then maybe worth £1k or so. If she was finished and ready to launch, maybe £2.5k. I'm not an expert though, it depends on the condition of many things such as the keel, the keel lifting mechanism, the rig etc. I deduce from your reference to a low-loader that there's no usable trailer included, so a buyer would have to arrange his own transport to take her away.

Hope this helps.

Mac Wester
2014-03-28T22:57:04Z
Thanks Mr T, I got all the paperwork today so should be able to find out which Mk it is. The largest single job that needs doing is half of one side needs scraping and then all antifouled. The inside looks good to go with a bit of tidying, cockpit area needs a good clean. There is a rubber tender and a couple of seagull engine for same. Haven't c hecked sails yet but knowing Rob they should be in good nick.
Plenty of extra gear - 2 x solar panels VHF fenders anchor etc - All in all a simple project for someone to get in the water this season. I can organise hiab lift either onto a trailer or onto hiab lorry then delivered, obviously at cost.She based just north of Fareham at present.

Thanks again

Steve
peter lowry
2014-03-30T07:53:52Z
Hi
John Baker drilled a series of holes in
the strengthening plywood where the rudder pintails are on the transom
theses holes spelt out the hull number

Unfortunately they were not always accurate as at the time he was building so many that numbers on sails and hulls did not marry up

however looking at pictures yours is probably a mark 2 as she has outboard in cockpit well

the mark 1 had outboards on transom and a shorter cockpit allowing seating in main saloon to be part of cockpit with sprayhood open

cheers
Peter Lowry

Mac Wester
2014-03-31T17:49:08Z
Thanks Peter, I've been looking through the paperwork and WAIF is 1974 with sail number 155. Didn't realise the outboard went in a well - how does the steering work with that - is the outboard locked or attached to rudder?
peter lowry
2014-04-01T17:28:19Z
Hello Mac Wester

did not realise this was Waif

We met Rob at several Seal rallies --- I know the boat quite well as looked to buy her when she was based on the Hamble -- owned by Geoff Pack (late editor of PBO ) -- I subsequently bought a different 22 She was called Scrumpy Jack back then !!

I am very sorry to hear that Rob has passed on ( as I am sure other seal owners are who met him )

Please pass on our condolences to Clare

the outboard on this boat is transom hung however in later model a well was built in the aft locker where the gas bottle in in the photo on the web site.

cheers

Peter.
Sophia 275(formally Seal 26 Cleo )

Mac Wester
2014-04-06T19:06:28Z
Peter, thank you for your kinds words which I have passed on to Clare who appreciated your thoughts, Rob will be cremated on Thursday.

Under the gas bottle shown in photo above there is a liftable hatch - would this be the opening for the well or is it an inspection hatch?

Am I allowed to advertise WAIF here or is there a For Sale section that I haven't seen yet?

Thanks

Steve