Martin Watson
2014-09-29T22:59:13Z
My boat Frith was struck by another much bigger vessel whilst minding it's own business on it's mooring yesterday. I now need to replace the starboard toenail which has been completely mangled over a 6 foot length, as well as two new stanchions which were snapped off at the base as well as in half. Does anyone know where I can source these items or the manufacturer of them? I think the stanchions and bases are YS products but I have no idea about the toenail. I think I am fortunate that the GRP escaped undamaged but it has put paid to the rest of the sailing season for me.
Martin Watson
Chris Turner
2014-09-30T05:53:53Z
I expect this won't be much use to you but exactly the same thing happenned to Elsa (Parker Built 26)when on her mooring, many years ago, in the outer part of Wootton Creek. Luckily I saw the incident and made a note of the offender.

At the time Parkers was fully functioning and Bill was able to get me a new toerail (via a fruit lorry!)within a week. Someone up there must still know the source of the rail and whether they are still producing it?

Chris.

Graham Ellison
2014-10-01T06:59:15Z
My commiserations Martin, that's an awful thing to happen. Tiptoe Too was on one of those Westlands moorings for a couple of years and while it was an absolutely idyllic spot, the way some of the large motor yachts on their way to or from Chichester Marina used to pass far too close, dragging half the water in the harbour as wake behind them, began to make me feel a bit exposed out on IC607. In the end I was hit too, although not nearly as badly as you: I came out to go sailing one day and found a large star crack in the hull amidships where it looked as if Tiptoe must have been T-boned, ironically (having just done a character assassination on motor boaters) - but luckily - by something small I think: The crack was about the height of a Laser or Topper bow. Your experience makes me wonder whether the Westlands mooring holders ought to lobby Chichester Harbour Conservancy for a CCTV camera on a tall pole looking out over the moorings from the Westlands hut, or maybe even one on a channel marker.

Anyway, I believe SL Yachting  are the folks to go to for toe rails; their website says they'll custom-build any section they don't already do.

Very best of luck

Graham

Martin Watson
2014-10-01T08:56:40Z
Thanks for your replies Chris and Graham, fortunately the Chi HM got the offenders details and I now have his insurance details. I have contacted SL-Yachting and they can certainly supply the stanchions and bases and I believe the toe rail, although I am still waiting for Steve to get back to me on that. Dell Quay Yacht yard have already got the boat out of the water and made a start on removing the damaged items so I am hoping I may be back in the water within a fortnight possibly less, with any luck i may still be able to make the last rally of the season. Once again thanks for your feedback.
Martin Watson