Highndry
2015-07-31T15:38:55Z
Can anyone recommend a source of a new rudder blade for my friend's inherited Parker 21?
Matthias.kro
2015-12-08T11:26:17Z
Hey highndry,

I sended an email to Bill Parker to ask where to Parker spare parts, but there was no answer.

I think David (perhaps Bruce too) is building 505 in america - it could be possible to get parts from him.

Another possibility is to make forms of existing parts.

I thought about do it for the rudder blade because it's so simple to damage it.

Did you get an adress where to buy?

Otherwise: who knows someone able to take a form from my blade for example?

Kind regards from germany,

Matthias

Scoglietto
GeoffTurner
2015-12-08T12:49:38Z
I too needed a new blade. I contacted a few foil makers, but couldn't afford a new one so ended up repairing the broken one. However, I may get round to making a new one myself - the attached article should be useful.

Rudder_Blades_and_Centerboards_000_448.pdf (602kb) downloaded 119 time(s).

Jan
  • Jan
  • Advanced Member
2015-12-08T15:47:23Z
Hi All

A silly question , but I noticed that a 27 rudderblade in the "for sale" section had very similar dimensions to those of the 325/335.

Is it possible that 27,275/285,31 and 325/335 all have or could use the same rudderblade ?

Come to that Geoff what are the critical dimensions of the 21 blade ?

If only one standard design then maybe it would be worth someone tooling up for it.

Regards

Jan Newman

325/32

Blue Moon

GeoffTurner
2015-12-09T10:01:13Z
I don't have full measurements to hand, but these are the basics:

Thickness: 40mm

Depth (including stock): 1200mm

Width at widest point: 380mm

Width at bottom: 250mm

And this is the shape:

PICT0867.JPG

Click to View Image114 View(s)

stansfield
2015-12-10T16:18:13Z
Hi Re the P21 rudder I have template of the blade and some photos if that any help to you.

It could post it to you.

mike.stansfield@talktalk.net

Matthias.kro
2016-02-22T16:31:14Z
Hi,

there are no blades an stock and David and Bruce do not produce any parts for Parker Yachts any more.

Here is a link to someone who perhaps can do a replica of the blade:

www.milanesfoils.co.uk/ 

Regards,

Matthias

Scoglietto
Jim Crick
2016-02-22T17:35:04Z
I made a replacement blade myself for my last boat, which was not very different to the P21.

It was just two pieces of thick marine ply epoxied together. Cut with a jigsaw to a pattern taken off the old blade, then a lot of time and effort with an electric planer and various coarse sanding discs. I kept the foil section as close as I could to the original. The ply laminations give you a good indication of shape, and help keep the two sides symmetrical, especially if you book match the two slabs in the first place.

I can't remember how I coated it, except that I mixed graphite filler in the epoxy where the blade rotated in the stock. It was probably just a coat of epoxy on the rest of the blade. It might have been just paint. A friend turned a sleeve for the pivot bolt, although it was probably not necessary. I just can't resist over engineering things!

The old blade had an alloy matrix and some filler, inside a fibreglass case, but the sideways loads had fractured it. I suspect my wooden job was much stronger, and I certainly had no problems with it.

Hope this helps