db74
  • db74
  • Newbie Topic Starter
2016-04-09T21:55:29Z
Hello everyone, I’m Dave, just bought 22/74 trailed her home to Southport from Crantock now called Pollyanna soon to be sailed from the River Alt. After a good clean and a couple of small repairs she’s ready for a re-wire and new instruments and lights. I have noticed that the rudder blade trails about 1” behind the axis of the rudder pins. I expected it to be unbalanced and forward of the axis it appears to be shaped to do so. I’d appreciate any comments on this. I’m sure I’ll find more to ask shortly. I would be very interested if anyone knows anything of its history.
The fewer moving parts, the better.
Floyd Raser
2016-04-10T22:29:42Z
Hi Dave,

I am also a novice but I'll try and help:
Sometimes the rudder blades get fitted the wrong way round. If you look at my thread, "Rudder Blade Corroded" and post #12, you can just see the difference in the two pics. In my case the hole used for raising the blade had broken through so the previous owner reversed the blade to use the other hole instead.

Posting a photo of your rudder set up may help to fire up the keyboards of the more experienced users here.

Best of luck.
Floyd
db74
  • db74
  • Newbie Topic Starter
2016-04-12T12:28:37Z

Hi Floyd, thanks for your reply. The rudder blade is the right way round and you can see below how far back it is. there are no other holes in either the stock or blade, I will re-drill to position it better it's just whether to have it balanced or un-balanced with the leading edge forward of the axis.
Rudder Original.jpg

Click to View Image87 View(s)

Can anyone advise the colour codes BS/RAL to repair the gel coat.

Hull.jpg

Click to View Image81 View(s)

Floyd Raser
2016-04-12T23:20:07Z
SINBAD_047_13.01.2015_01 small.jpg

Click to View Image78 View(s)

Sorry Dave, but you are mistaken. Your blade is the wrong way round maybe this pic makes it clearer. Spin yours round and you should see a difference.
This pic is of my new blade with extra "snout" for ease of lifting.
Your rudder stock looks the same as mine and if so, it's made of three bits of ply. The middle one is shaped to match the radius of the curve on the top of the blade. You'll see it with the blade removed.

Floyd.
db74
  • db74
  • Newbie Topic Starter
2016-04-13T10:49:33Z
Checked it this morning, your not wrong in that the rudder blade must have been fitted the other way round but as its a great airfoil section (shown below)the broad end should go to the front, I wonder how long it's been the wrong way round?

It would appear the axis is at point A. I expected it to be at point B. is everyones at point A.?

Rudder section.jpg

Click to View Image64 View(s)

Floyd Raser
2016-04-13T22:15:28Z
If there is such a thing as an optical conundrum, this is one. I had a job to believe it when I found out mine was back to front; it just looks wrong! :-)

My understanding is that the standard rudder blade was just a flat sheet of steel cut to shape so it could be that someone has modified yours.