claeyssens
2016-10-27T19:27:26Z
I would like to put a boomsprit for a reacher. If somebody has one on his boat, I would like to know how he has done with the roller furler and the anchor fairlead. A photo can help to see the installation.

Best regards.

Pascal Claeyssens

Maruli 27/325

Jan
  • Jan
  • Advanced Member
2016-11-02T17:44:12Z
Hello Pascal

An interesting idea, I have a gennaker that has never been out of its bag but I dream that it will see use eventually.

To fit a bowsprit would need a downhaul to somewhere on the bow plus where would you put the inboard end of the sprit without obstructing the lid of the anchor locker and would the deck be strong enough to take the downthrust ? To put a loop on the bow fitting for the sprit would be fairly easy , just use a longer bolt through the bow pulley and fit it on one end .

Any other suggestions ? or has anyone already done it ?

Jan

325/32

Blue Moon

Jan
  • Jan
  • Advanced Member
2016-11-02T17:51:33Z
Hello again Pascal

OK I have had further thoughts.

If the inboard end of the sprit were fixed to the bow roller and a downhaul were in place to the outboard end of the sprit, there would be no need to have any sprit extending inboard. Hence leaving the anchor locker lid and the mooring cleats clear. Might be an idea to have two further stays from the end of the sprit to the toe rails on either side.

Now we need someone to try it .

Of course sprit would need to be demountable to avoid excess marina fees.

Jan

325/32

Blue Moon

Doug Rivers
2016-11-07T19:19:20Z
Hi, not directly answering the question. I use a wire strop around the bow roller and connect a multi part down haul to this for the assymetric. It flys well and I adjust the tack length as needed. I've never worked out how to fit a sprit around / over the anchor locker with any of the available kits. As an aside I use the spinnaker pole to bring the luff to windward as you would for a normal spinnaker, the sail is very stable with little risk of wrap. Regards Doug
claeyssens
2016-11-12T11:26:03Z
Hi Doug and Jan

I have been this afternoon at the mooring and I have tried to see how I could put a bow sprit.I have a fairlead (not a double one) only on starboard, so i could put the bowsprit on the port side. But the genoa roller furler is low. I could put the roller a little more up.I think the bowsprit must cross over the anchor locker. So I could not open the locker when the reacher is up. The problem will be the bobstay, because for a reacher it must have one, and not for the asymmetric spinnaker. My anchor locker is not very deep, because there is a crash box below. I have seen the anchor locker of another 325 ("blackney seal"who stays in Paimpol harbour) this one was without crash box and very deep. The bobstay fixing is to much hight with my locker. Next week the boat will be ashore near the house, and there is a good sailmaker and a good rigging maker (the name?) So I shall see quietly the solutions. Thanks for your help.I shall be out off work at the next year end ant I shall have all the time to cross often the channel to meet you.

Best regards

Pascal

Maruli 325/27

Jan
  • Jan
  • Advanced Member
2016-11-14T12:30:06Z
Hello Pascal

Are you now retiring from work ? something I promise myself also but I doubt if I can do it next year however you must make the crossing and we can meet.

As for the bowsprit, I still think that if it is securely fixed to the bow fitting and has bobstay and two side stays , there is no need for it to extend over the anchor locker.

Jan

325/32

Blue Moon

claeyssens
2016-11-17T21:53:38Z
Hello Jan,

I shall be retiring from work at the end of 2017 year. I don't know if where I shall go next summer. Maybe Cornwall, Scilly or try again to go to Ireland ( last time I have broken the rudder during the crossing)I have been at a PSSA meeting 10 years ago with a French Super Seal ( Bambridge, Folly inn;...) And I saw "Shemar" . And decide to find one Parker 325....