Robert Young
2018-08-04T12:48:37Z
Can anyone please advise when going under low bridges do you remove Mailsail from Boom, and Jib from Forestay before lowering mast, or leave then on ? My experience of lowering mast is at end of season when I remove all sails, but for shorter periods such as going under a bridge I have no experience.

Thanks, Robert P21/56

Geoff Harwood
2018-08-05T07:51:56Z
I think it would be a bit tricky!! I think I'd drop the sail off the mast but leave it on the boom and take the boom off the gooseneck to save unthreading all the reefing lines etc. Remember that you can't use the rudder with the mast support in place so I'm not sure how you steer under the bridge.

Geoff Harwood ex P21/30

Marvin Kowalewski
2018-08-06T00:10:25Z
Hey Geoff and Robert,

At one time Bill Parker sent me the idea of a slotted mast tabernacle where the mast base is pinned through the tabernacle.. ...I think the mast would lean down toward the aft enough to pass a not too low bridge and be able to be winched back up on the jib halyard. Just my 2 cents.

Marvin Kowalewski

Parker 27

Marvin Kowalewski, Ph.D
Robert Young
2018-08-06T15:33:35Z
Geoff and Marvin Thanks for your replies. The previous owner,who sadly has since died so I cannot ask him, has left his own made X crutch so the Mast rests on that, so the Tiller is free to move.I take your point about not wanting to take all the Reefing ropes off.

Cheers, Robert