Martin Watson
2018-09-04T09:50:30Z
I have taken on the organisation of this rally which was great fun last year. You will need to come up on the Friday as the tides are late that weekend and also to make the most of the day on Saturday as the buses start at 10 am.

The buses run every half hour and start on the quayside and the camaraderie on the wonderful old buses is fantastic. It is all free except for the optional route and pub guide which is £7 but which is partly offset by a 50 pence discount on the first round in each pub (if you can drink 14 pints then the guide is free!) We will have a small aperitif by FRITH at 1800 as I'm guessing most people will have had enough to drink by then and adjourn across the river to the Bargemans Rest where I have booked a table for 10~15 Seals at 7 pm. Please let me know early if you are interested so that I can get an idea of numbers for the pub.

HW Friday is at 1402 BST (Portsmouth) and as it is only three days after maximum spring tide, the height will be 4.8M - 0.6M = 4.2M. The harbour dries at 1.4Ms so at HW there should be 2.8M. There is apparently a double tide at or near HW Springs which exhibits as more of a stand so you should have at least 2M +/- 2 Hours of HW.

HW Sunday is 0300 BST (3.9M) and 1518 BST (3.9M) Times are Portsmouth and there is no difference for Newport and heights are adjusted for Newport.

I believe I have calculated the corrections properly but caveat emptor, please check yourselves.

Please leave a message here and contact me by phone/txt on mo: 07711 185 124 or email: martinkwatson@yahoo.co.uk

Martin Watson
adrian
2018-09-05T11:38:41Z
Count us in Martin, we will be up on Friday.

Ade & pam - Ariana

peter lowry
2018-09-05T12:31:22Z
Hi, ditto Sophia will also be there hopefully on Fri too.Peter
paulr
2018-09-06T18:12:22Z
was great last year and hopefully Altair will be there- will check with Sarah and let you know

Peter Scrivens
2018-09-12T21:53:54Z
Hi Martin, Zephyr will be joining you this year, thanks, Peter
stephen roy
2018-09-14T07:58:50Z
Hello Martin count us in 2 people on Penlu.We will be there Friday .

Please book us in for the meal at the pub.

1 gluten free meal.

Stephen

Martin Watson
2018-09-20T23:33:44Z
Hi all, so far we have 6 boats signed up, which is a good start. If anyone else is interested please let me know, the more the merrier. Obviously, the weather will be a factor, as always but we can re-evaluate the situation nearer the time, just drop me an email and post a note here for now, indicating your interest....
Martin Watson
terryflinn
2018-09-27T09:34:04Z
Terry & Nicola on Nondikass plan on joining the rally arriving Friday.
Shockwave
2018-10-03T16:03:36Z
Hi Shockwave is hoping to come, might have to come in the dark on Friday on the night time tide, but will let you know

thanks

Julie and Ieuan

Martin Watson
2018-10-06T09:30:06Z
Only a week to go till the Beer and Buses Rally, the weather is looking favourable from Friday through till Monday, with no rain forecast and moderate winds on Friday (Southerly F4~F5) decreasing through the following three days. If you haven't signed up yet, there is still time...the more the merrier.

Looking forward to seeing you all on Friday afternoon.

Martin Watson
Martin Watson
2018-10-06T09:38:35Z
I forgot to mention we are now up to eight boats with Ariana, Sophia, Altair, Zephyr, Penlu, Nondikas, Shockwave and of course Frith. If I've done my sums right that's 14 members but we would like even more. If you would like to come, Just sign up here on the forum and email or txt/phone me on martinkwatson@yahoo.co.uk or07711 185 124
Martin Watson
Noel
2018-10-06T16:43:07Z
Hello Martin, Cleo (SS26 No21) plans to join the rally. I’ll be by myself and plan to arrive Friday afternoon.

Thank you, Noel.

Martin Watson
2018-10-10T18:26:34Z
I guess I spoke too soon about the weather which has taken a sudden turn for the worst this Friday. At the moment it's forecasting Southerly F5 gusting F8. (also for Saturday for anyone who was thinking of delaying arrival by twenty-four hours)I will understand if any of you feel that is too much. My feeling is that because it is Southerly, there won't be much fetch in the Eastern Solent so sea state should not be too bad and also no wind against tide to contend with, however, it does depend on where you are coming from. Frith, Sophia, Penlu and Altair can come out of Gosport and get across to the north shore of the island and hug the coast to Cowes. Not so sure about Zephyr from Beaulieu or Ariana from Radlett Creek. Nondikas is up at Fareham so should also be OK but Shockwave and Cleo are in the Hamble and will also face a five mile motor straight into wind to Cowes. Perhaps you could all email me your thoughts. Once we get into the Medina, we will be fine and the forecast for Sunday/Monday is good to get back to our respective bases. I plan to leave Gosport in company with Sophia at about midday on Friday as long as things don't get any worse. I will look at the inshore forecast again tomorrow and let you all know.

Martin Watson
Martin Watson
2018-10-11T19:58:12Z
Well, the weather forecast has not changed much in the last 24 hours, still giving Southerly F6 gusts F8. At last count, Nondikas and Ariana had pulled out. Peter Scrivens in Zephyr took advantage of a lull in the wind this evening and is tucked up in the Medina already. Noel in Cleo is going to give it a try tomorrow but I have said not to push it, as the Superseals are not so sea kindly in a blow as the 27s and 275s are due to their light weight. SO, the plan is for Frith, Sophia and Altair (and hopefully Penlu) to leave Gosport at noon tomorrow, head straight across to Ryde/Wootton then hug the coast up to Cowes and expect to arrive in Newport at 2 pm. Ieuan in Shockwave is still going to give it a try from Hythe although he will be coming across to Cowes in the evening due to tidal restrictions, hopefully, the usual nocturnal reduction in wind will be in his favour. I hope those that do intend to come, remain safe and do not take any unnecessary risks, but, with care and a bit of caution we should all arrive safely.

Safe passage to you all

Martin

Martin Watson
Martin Watson
2018-10-12T13:53:29Z
Well I gave it my best shot but to no avail, could not make more than two knots over the ground against the wind and with 14.8 Nms to go I would not have made it in time. Plan B is that a bunch of us are going over on the 0815 Redjet tomorrow. Peter Scrivens on P23 Zephyr has kindly agreed to play host for the drinks at 6pm and we are still booked for 7pm in the Bargemans Rest. At last count it will be Crews from Zephyr, Lesa, Elsa, Sophia, Altair, Shockwave and Frith. Haven’t been able to contact Noel on Cleo yet. See you tomorrow at Newport Town key at about 0930~0945.
Martin Watson