Mutiny
2020-07-30T10:39:28Z
I just inherited a Parker Sinbad 22 - as a first time sailor at 79 years old I need some guidance! Big issue understanding the retractable keel. After 100 handle turns there still is no indication whether the keel is fully down. Scared to wind more in case it simply disappears out of the bottom! Does it eventually locate - if so, about how many turns are necessary? Thanks for any advice
peter lowry
2020-07-31T06:53:04Z
Hello and welcome.
As a new owner of a Seal. We would encourage you to join the PSSA.
We have a wealth of information at your disposal regarding the 22 and sinbad.
Applications are on the wedsite and only costs £15 for a family membership.
In answer to you question in keel from top to fully down is approx 120 turns

You will know when it is down fully as the cable in the table will go slack. Be careful not to unwind too much once fully down as the cables may skip out of the pully..
There should be a little plastic square in the table to look down.
Into keel box.
The keel won't fall out of the bottom of the boat!!!!
Which one did you buy... We are always keen to find out where they are in the country.

Enjoy your Seal 22 Sinbad
Peter Lowry
Commodore
Mutiny
2020-07-31T13:57:37Z
Thank you so much, Peter, for your warm welcome and very helpful information.

I live on a houseboat just up above Newhaven Harbour and the Sinbad that I now have taken care of was left on the mooring by a gentleman who had lived on it at the mooring for three or so years but had to go back to his native Romania. The mooring owner impounded the boat for lack of mooring fees and was threatening to break it up. I gave him £400 to prevent that and now am trying to reinstate it into usable condition. The boat is called the 'Mutiny', but I don't know how to find an identification mark.

My son and I have put in a lot of elbow grease and enthusiasm but have no knowledge of small boats or sailing. But we are excited to learn. We paid quite a sum to get the rigging fixed (or so we thought!), to have the keel mechanism and tiller overhauled and functional and we have painted and cleaned generally. However, when we decided to test it out this weekend, the forestay snapped (as we now realise, because the mechanism was almost ceased up and had not been greased). So now we have taken the whole mast down, taken out the furler and are trying to get the cable out of the sleeve. This is proving very difficult, because the sleeve appears to have been put together with contact adhesive, or 'No Nails', making it very tough to get it apart, so we can't get to the fixed end of the cable inside. I shall try to apply a flame gun to the 'No Nails' next weekend and see if I can deconstruct the furler into its component parts. It seems to be the difference between £60 for a new cable cut to size and £600 for a complete new furler!

But the beauty of this process is that, the more we take things apart, the more we learn and the more invested we become in getting the 'Mutiny' into top-notch form and sailing her as she was meant to be sailed!

Thank you again for your welcome into this elite community. It means a lot to know that there is a group of people devoted to maintaining a place for this excellent little craft.
Kind regards.

Vic and Adam Thorpe

PS: We have joined the PSSA now Thank you
peter lowry
2020-07-31T19:47:28Z
Congratulations,

There should be a hull number drilled into the transom post , if so i have all the archives from each boat sold by John Baker and with this i should be able to findout some history of "Mutiny"

keep in touch and look forward to hearing about your progress.
ps there is a Seal 22/Sinbad handbook also available too

cheers for now.

Peter