mikeinportugal
2020-09-26T12:56:20Z
Hi,
The rudder plate broke off my Seal 22 (371) yesterday off the coast of Portugal. After a Mayday call, as we were drifting on to a lee shore, the 3 crew were helicoptered to safety and I took a tow from a lifeboat back to port. My question is this.......does anyone have a pattern or dimensions of the lifting rudder plate. I thought that it was galvanised steel under the paint but it turns out it was aluminium. Anyway a prompt response would be appreciated as I am stuck in an expensive marina at the moment!
IMG_4559.jpg

Click to View Image22 View(s)

peter lowry
2020-09-27T10:48:03Z
Hi Mike
Sorry to hear about you adventures and pleased to hear crew and "Lya Maria" are now safe .

i have been looking through old stuff on the seal 22, but so far i have not been able to find any dimensions on the rudder blade..
the original was made of boiler plate but many people haver addapted and redesigned it.

you have the important bit which gives you the shape that fits into the rudder stock,
from the break you could perhaps cut the metal straight about 3 feet deep

My mate has a Seal Sinbad and i will contact him to send me photos and sizes but he is away for a few days and will get them to you as soon as

I hope this helps and will be in touch

Peter Lowry
Commodore

Seal 22 owner in the 1990s
now Sophia P275
Geoff Harwood
2020-09-27T17:36:50Z
There have been several cases where owners of 22s and Sinbads have replaced the boiler plate rudder blades with aluminium alloys and several have broken off just as you described. It was reported in newsletters at the time and if you search the "Forum" on this site for "boiler plate" some examples come up. I think I also put a reference to the problem in the 22 Tech Handbook. Sinbad 289 "Manana" and Seal 22/318 "Toy Yot 2" had the best solution to this problem and that was to replace the whole lot with a Parker 21 rudder assembly. Unfortunately any remaining P21 Rudders have probably gone in a skip by now but someone might be able to track one down.

Geoff Harwood ex Sinbad 287 "Zalophus"
peter lowry
2020-09-28T20:14:30Z
hi
i have sent photos to your e mail address in the handbook

hopefully you can open them and they help

pls let me know how you get on

peter lowry