Lili235
2022-05-23T12:55:44Z
Hi everyone

As part of our ongoing thoughts about improving our motor experience (either going electric, or building a cover for it!), we were wondering about getting an electric outboard but storing our 6Hp Tohatsu for Solent crossings etc.

It’s big, heavy and oily to keep in the cabin, so we thought maybe build a motor mount on the transom to the port side (mirroring the ladder on the starboard side)

Has anyone done this? Presumably it needs to be quite high to avoid being submerged when heeled over on a starboard tack under sail…

Thanks
James Hamilton
2022-06-01T17:02:01Z
I have put a 10kg Yamaha 2hp and Peter Scrivens has put a 15 kg Suzuki on the port rail as you suggest. Would think a 6hp might be a bit on the heavy side!

Lili235
2022-06-01T17:31:39Z
Ok thanks - probably not worth getting a mount fitted on the transom then
johniow
2022-07-03T11:04:54Z
Sorry to come late to this, but when you say "rail" do you mean the push pit? If so then they're usually quite robust - can you sit on yours? Admittedly I have a 325, but I have an approx 20kg 2-stroke Tohatsu 5hp that clamps quite happily onto a home made mount on the pushpit.
Nosey - Parker 325-26
philip linsell
2022-07-05T07:47:13Z
HI another late comer.
I have never liked the concept of carrying an outboard motor high on the pushpit. On rascal my 26 my 2hp tender outboard sits on a block of wood set, port side stern just above deck level, easy to transfer to the dinghy.
My previous boat a 23' Jennneau Bahia had a 4 hp outboard on a stern mounted lifting bracket as main propulsion (when not sailing) and I installed a second bracket for the 2hp tender outboard. Not only low for weight distribution and ease of transfer but it could be used to drive the boat as well. On the odd occasion I ran both!
Would this work for you?
Philip Superseal rascal