ASKHAM
2022-12-06T14:57:04Z
Over winter I plan to install new Seacocks. The existing Blakes have served for 43 years but each through hull fitting has 4 bolts. I understand composite is now preferred but am concerned about filling the 8 bolts holes which will be redundant if I go to Marelon or Trudesign. Comments welcome
Paul Morris
2022-12-06T17:50:36Z
They’ve stood the test of time. Why change what works.
Do they need changing anyway?
philip linsell
2022-12-09T09:32:32Z
About the same age as mine.
When I checked this out a few years ago the replacement valves were much larger and may not have fitted in the space.
I keep meaning to replace the bronze bolts but they are difficult to find. It's on the list for this winter (again).
I'm going to stick with what I've got which works fine, just a bit of grease each winter.
Philip superseal rascal
philip linsell
2022-12-16T09:12:15Z
Thanks Martin
I've spoken to them, there are different types, which they have in stock, but at £19.00 each I am going t to check mine as I remove them (2 so far both OK) and only replace where necessary.
Philip
philip linsell
2023-01-28T09:25:29Z
seacocks as removed.JPG

Click to View Image1 View(s)

seacocks refurbished.JPG

Click to View Image2 View(s)

Things have moved on, I have removed the seacocks and refurbished, they came up well with no sign of dezincification. The bad news was that 5 of the 8 bolts sheared off, so I decided to replace them all. All parts are available from Blakes and Taylors, the bolts, with nuts cost about £164 for the 8, only fractionally more in kits with the hull plates. That's still cheaper than the Marelon Seacocks at about £200 for the pair.
Philip
superseal rascal
johniow
2023-02-06T11:59:58Z
Although a Parker 325, n the course of engine works, the raw water seacock was removed, and found to be severely wanting! Photos attached. I've gone for Marelon. Friends of mine who've gone for these have been very satisfied. Getting the old seacocks out (and the skin fittings?) plus rebounding to the inside of the hull may - or may not - be non-trivial.
Good luck either route.
John
IMG_4611.jpeg

Click to View Image0 View(s)

IMG_4608.jpeg

Click to View Image0 View(s)

Nosey - Parker 325-26
ASKHAM
2023-05-05T15:03:37Z
New Blakes acquired, D shaped handle mount and useful addition of grease nipples, but not cheap. Not enough Sikaflex first time, so Nauti was hauled out and bolts and outer skin fittings slathered with Sikiflex and refitted. Hoping for now water ingress on relaunch May 15th. Must say, impressed with new design and fact that the four bolt holes on each Seacock were a fine fit.