Graham Ellison
2023-01-03T10:58:54Z
I spotted a laminated mahogany tiller on ebay in early December, described as made to fit P27/285 or Super Seal and as it happened it’s exactly what I need at the right price. The delivery options were either to collect from Boston (Lincs of course) or contact the seller for a delivery/postage & packing quote. As Lincolnshire isn’t practical for me, I did the latter. Unfortunately, although I’ve sent the seller several messages, I haven’t yet had a reply or an invoice with the updated price, and until I do, the payment button on my ebay page to allow me to pay him is disabled….

The seller is “bigdaddybruce63”, and given the tiller’s design, its location, the seller’s ebay handle and the fact that Bruce was born in 1963, I’m assuming it’s probably Bruce himself.

Is anybody in touch with him? Is he OK?

PeterDann
2023-01-09T15:21:08Z
HI Graham

I bought a new pulpit from Bruce 18 months ago and that was the eBay username he had then. I haven't been in contact with him since. He did mention that he was planning to move to Fort William at some point. I'm afraid I don't have any other details.

Peter
Peter Dann
Blue Moon 325/32
Graham Ellison
2023-01-14T18:49:24Z
Thanks Peter - Still no joy getting messages to him via ebay. I’ll keep trying! Might see you down at Thornham some winter’s day. All the best!
DirkB
2023-01-15T10:52:07Z
Hi Graham, last week I had a phone call with David Parkinson from Fosdyke Yacht Haven about the helmsman cockpit seat that I lost. He has been trying to locate the mould in the 24ft storage container. Therefore he contacted Bruce about this mould, so he surely is able to contact him.

Kind regards,
Dirk Bakkeren
philip linsell
2023-01-15T15:53:30Z
26 tiller.JPG

Click to View Image0 View(s)

Graham
I wouldn't fit a laminated tiller, many of the 'mahoganies' used are poor structural timers and not long lasting.
I made a solid hardwood tiller for rascal several years ago, just ben varnished ready for next season.
Philip
suerseal rascal
Ken Surplice
2023-01-15T20:10:51Z
Hi Philip,

I fancy having a go at making a tiller. May I ask what wood you chose for yours?

Thanks - Ken
Ken
philip linsell
2023-01-16T09:54:11Z
Hi Ken
In the 1990's a deck cargo of hardwood was lost off the south coast which I salvaged a good bit. (My brother got much more and stored where he worked at Brighton Marina; a very god collecting point).
Much of this was used in making a cradle for Tulena, my 22 at the time, so I could drop the keel out. The rest was stored and found various uses including a new tiller for rascal about 11 years ago.
I suspect it may be iroko, but not 100% sure. Purchasing I would go for iroko or ipe, which I know of or also now shorea or eucalyptus are recommended but I don't know details of suitability.
Philip
philip linsell
2023-01-16T14:50:40Z
One more, if you want to stay true english ash is probably one of the best woods for handles, including the one we fix to our rudder!
Philip