MauriceWoodcock
2023-03-13T13:34:25Z
Hi Folks. We own Louise, a superseal 26, sail number currently unknown, but under investigation. We are a family of 4 and on overnight stays there isn't much bed space. Currently 2 smallish children in the forepeak, one adult in the quarter berth and one head to head on the same side. Not very comfortable. We are keen to explore the potential removal or adaption to the cockpit table to somehow generate additional space for more comfortable sleeping accommodation. Has anybody modified their boats to provide extra sleeping space, or got any tips on temporary measures? Any help, gratefully received. Thanks Maurice and Emma.
Ken Surplice
2023-03-13T18:41:57Z
Hi Maurice and Emma, you remind me of a weekend away in a Parker 21 when it was new to us. We had four adults, one child around eight years old and another aged two. We survived but boy was it a squeeze, a fun squeeze. We were a family of four on board for many years then changed to a Parker 275 where we could stay afloat and comfortable for as long as we wished.

Looking at your situation, have you considered evicting the children from the forepeak and moving in yourselves? The children could sleep safely in the saloon if you have or fit lee cloths. Our boat came with these and they ensured the kids stayed in their beds rather than rolling onto the floor. As the lee cloths take up no room when not in use, folding flat under the saloon cushions, they are very practical.

Commodore Peter also sailed regularly in his Seal 26 with two children on board. Any advice Peter?
Ken
philip linsell
2023-03-14T20:29:18Z
  superseal page 4.pdf (911kb) downloaded 29 time(s).
Maurice & Emma
I think you may have a modified superseal.
Unfortunately the manual does not seem to appear in the technical section at the moment but I have attached page 4 from the original superseal handbook.
As you can see it's a 5 berth layout with option to convert port settee to a double. (I think that may be starboard as the plan shown is handed to my 'rascal').
The berth forward of the cooker extends into a 'box' opposite the heads to give the length and can be extended to a double, although as a single handed sailor I've never had the need to try this. On rascal the heads comes to the keel box so a double berth would limit access to the forward cabin.
My table has brackets for fixing; centrally, to the keel box or either side over the berths.
I hope this helps.
Philip
rascal superseal 50

MauriceWoodcock
2023-03-14T21:04:44Z
Hi Philip

Thank you so much for your message. The creation of a double berth on one side, as shown in your layout is exactly the sort of thing that we are trying to achieve. Does it say anymore anywhere about how this is achieved, or give instructions or diagrams? Our layout is a bit different to yours, in that on the port side from back to front, we have the 'galley' area, then a berth, a wardrobe and then into the forepeak. On the starboard is quarter berth, continuing into another berth in the area where the 'chart table' pulls down, then the heads in a separate bathroom ahead.

Looking at the boat today, we have a floor to ceiling support that is useful to hold onto sometimes and that adjoins the table.

really appreciate your help.
Kind regards
Maurice and Emma
MauriceWoodcock
2023-03-14T21:08:37Z
Hi Ken,

Thanks for your message. That many people in a Parker 21 sounds like utter hell, i think we had 3 people in Sealesta once and that was bad enough, and she was a seal 22, so a whole foot longer than the Parker. I am 6 ft 6" but went down to the boat today and was reassured that i don't fit in the forepeak sadly. I will await Peter's ideas, having met him, i think he is a fair bit shorter than me, so maybe the forepeak works for him too.

We need a bigger boat!

Thanks

Maurice
peter lowry
2023-03-15T15:35:24Z
Hi Maurice.
Myself and Jenny are definitely shorter than you are . we do sleep in the fore cabin,
and our two boys slept in the aft cabin and on the starboard settee berth but there is 4 years between them so the younger was always short wntil he was 15 or 16 , now he towers over me.

I know when Paul Morris owned SS26 Black Jack, in the early days is children of similiar age to mine,
he built a framework which went across the two settee berths with cushions which folded up and stowed under one of the bunks
I am not sure how sucessful it was.

Hope this helps,

Peter.
Ken Surplice
2023-03-15T23:45:25Z
Our webmaster has kindly fixed the link to the Super Seal manual. See the technical section to access it.
Ken
Paul Morris
2023-03-16T08:34:15Z
Hi Maurice.
I made a berth that extended the width of the starboard berth, leaving a gap of about 8 inches to the port berth. So you could get to the galley and companion way steps easily. Getting to the heads meant you stepped over or on it.
It took a couple of minutes to put together and was very sturdy, held together with 4mm rope . You could store your bags underneath. I had the back rest cushions, plus a little extra one made to fit the extension.
I quickly looked for a photo, but not sure I have one.
I sold the boat to my brother now called Pluto and he has it but doesn’t use it.
Regards Paul