Liam
  • Liam
  • Member Topic Starter
2023-04-07T09:13:51Z
Having recently acquired 275/34 (Previously known as Lady Penelope, now known as Aishling A). I'm shortly to have her lifted out of the water for the first time. I was lead to believe by the previous owner that she continues to rely upon her original crystic copperclad, although both he and I are uncertain on this point. I did beach her back in November when first bought, to remove the beard and things did not look too bad, but this will be the first time I will get a proper look see. I am now in the process of prepping a list of all the jobs to undertake whilst she is out, such as: new wc skin fitting: new log/transducer; new anodes; hull polish; new vinyl; new swim ladder; new rudder control lines; checking rudder pintel and gudgeon, (Keel was serviced two years ago). But what to do with the bottom? I have never heard of copperbot lasting 30 years, so I am keen to know of others' experiences and if faced with the need to replace the copperclad what did you do?
Once I've got all of this done, I have apparently to get on and sell my 235, its creating too much shade in the garden!
Many thanks. Liam
Ken Surplice
2023-04-07T18:29:56Z
Hi Liam, I once had a Parker 21. I’m not sure how old she was when she came into my hands but it wasn’t so many years. Following the advice of others, I refreshed the copperbot hull with a Pex orbital sander. When craning out at the end of the season…oh dear. It looked like 10,000 decaying rubber gloves had been stuck to the bottom. After that episode I applied primer and then eroding anti foul.

I’m still copperbot curious. Some love it. Some do not. But it will not last 30 years for sure.
Ken
Liam
  • Liam
  • Member Topic Starter
2023-04-07T20:55:32Z
Thanks Ken. I suspect that to be the way forward. Will keep you posted.
Whiteheat
2023-04-15T15:03:59Z
Hi Liam,
I have a 285 CopperCoat hull. The coating is 5 years old and, from my experience with annual anti foul previously, it’s not as good even when relatively new. The theory is that it lasts 10 years. I am doubting that from my experience on the Orwell. A lift and blast is needed every 8 weeks in the season. The good news is that the prep includes gelcoat stripping and epoxy coating, so it’s osmosis free at least!
Liam
  • Liam
  • Member Topic Starter
2023-04-15T20:12:28Z
Jon. Thanks for your response. She has now been lifted out and I have been able to inspect the bottom. In fact I have just spent 6 hours under her, removing the antifouling that she was coated in. I have got down to the original copperclad in places, but not everywhere. On reflection, I think I am going to prime her and then use Seajet Hard Racing as opposed to coppercoat. A straw poll of my fellow local sailors provides a divided opinion on what is best.
I now have more pressing matters, as when I navigated towards the slip for haul out, I lowered the keel to the max, sadly the keel wire snapped, so another repair added to my list!
Groucho
2024-05-11T07:29:46Z
Originally Posted by: Whiteheat 

Hi Liam,
I have a 285 CopperCoat hull. The coating is 5 years old and, from my experience with annual anti foul previously, it’s not as good even when relatively new. The theory is that it lasts 10 years. I am doubting that from my experience on the Orwell. A lift and blast is needed every 8 weeks in the season. The good news is that the prep includes gelcoat stripping and epoxy coating, so it’s osmosis free at least!

Hi Jon,

I just came across this post and was interested in your reply, as I have just taken over a 275 I was planning to base on the Orwell (Pin Mill) and was considering copper coating for next year. Also considering these new eco-friendly anti fouling coatings which came out well in the PBO test - have you looked at them?
Whiteheat
2024-05-11T09:42:59Z
Hello Groucho,
My experience of copper coat in the Orwell (which is well above average for fouling) is that it is not as efficient as annual antifouling.
Short of hauling the boat out every 8 weeks, I am using a scrubber on a pole system to keep fouling under control.
The boat is now in Woolverstone marina so I am able to berth with both rudder and keel up, which helps. With this method I’m hauling out once a year for a scrub, folding prop service, copper coat abrasion, keel check and topside polish.
I haven’t looked at alternatives to copper coat yet as what I am doing seems to be working. Doubtless as the it gets closer to the ten year copper coat lifetime I will investigate.