johniow
  • johniow
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
2023-02-06T12:10:18Z
It was great to see the Parker and Seal contingent at Saturday's (4th Feb) Cruising Association seminar. Some of us may overlap, but all would like to hear of other's experience - good and bad. So I'm setting this Forum up.

It's been done before of course - see Forum post

http://parkerseal.org.uk...-sealing---round-britain 

Best Wishes,

John

Nosey - Parker 325-26
johniow
  • johniow
2023-02-06T12:21:06Z
For my part, my plan (top tip - don't make plans) is to set off some time in April, once I'm in a mainland port keep turning right! There's a lot of discussion about clockwise vs widdershins, but clockwise it is for me.

As far as I'm concerned I'm just cruising a bit further and a bit longer. I shall keep a weather eye open on the weather, and as always respect the tides. I like the attitude of Altair.

http://altair2016.blogspot.com/?m=1 

Nosey - Parker 325-26
Martin Watson
2023-02-25T01:14:58Z
Hi John and all. I'm hoping to set off in early April. Will be leaving from Dell Quay as it's daft to put all my mooring tackle back on at Gosport CC just to remove it three weeks later (a requirement if you plan to be away for an extended period) and I can leave my car in the Yacht Yard at Dell Quay. I will be pushing on, as I want to visit Dublin (my inlaws) on the way and also hope to go right over the top of Scotland, rather than through the Caledonian Canal. It will very much depend on the weather at the time, and I need to be back by mid-September as I'm running a couple of rallies then. The Folly for the DQSC and then the Beer and Bus rally for the PSSA. I have AIS Class B fitted so I can be tracked but I don't intend to do a blog about it, it's not my 'thing'. According to Peter Lowry there are only two boats with class B AIS called Frith and my boat comes up first on shipfinder. I've joined the CA and according to them, there are no formalities in crossing to Ireland in practice, although in theory there are. Difference between Political and Practical decisions, but they are still being intransigent over pets. No more green diesel available in Ireland, only full price white Diesel, which I use anyway. John, I will be contacting you directly about my Beer and Bus rally.
Martin Watson
PeterDann
2023-02-27T21:20:39Z
Hi all

My plan is to leave after Easter, hopefully the following weekend, from Itchenor. With a never-to-be-repeated two summers of pink tickets I'm aiming to leave everything inhabited to starboard: rather annoyingly this means Day One spent going round the back of the Island. Yawn. Plan A involves getting past the Scillies ASAP on the basis that I can go there again on a normal holiday, then slow down once safely into the Bristol Channel, although it appears the word 'safe' is relative in those parts.

John and I both seem to have latched on to the best piece of advice from the CA seminar: don't make plans = avoid disappointment! My very loose plan is to be in Wales in May, Ireland E Coast in June, various Hebrides in July and August and back down to Liverpool to over-winter in September. 2024 should include NW England, remaining bits of W Scotland then Orkneys, Shetlands and E Coast home.

Sadly there are several hundred Blue Moons in most marinas, let alone on AIS, but if you want to stalk me you can find me with the help of pictures. I'm also keeping my blog powder dry for now but I daresay a wet week stormbound somewhere dull could persuade me to have a go.

John - was your idea to post updates on here? Happy to do that as long as it doesn't make other members jealous and grumpy.

Cheers

Peter

Peter Dann

Blue Moon 325/32

Martin Watson
2023-02-28T09:39:11Z
Hi Peter, give us your MMSI number and we will be able to follow you using that...

I'm aiming to leave early April to take advantage (hopefully) of the Easterleys at that time of year, which is why the Dutch usually come over to UK at that time and then go back when the winds have become predominantly Westerley, however, best laid plans, etc...😀 I'm surprisingly informed by Peter Lowry that there are only two Friths on Shipfinder and mine is the first one.

Martin Watson
paulr
2023-05-03T14:41:58Z
good to see Frith now in Padstow as was Blue Moon a week or two ago but she now in Wales.

Peter's blog of his trip good fun - worth reading.

PS yes I am jealous and wish Altair was there too!

PeterDann
2023-05-03T14:48:51Z
Yes we're currently 'up the Cleddau' having brought Blue Moon to the first of her homes. Boston is next, a year and a half away!

Extraordinary coincidence - we came into the Haven entrance and the boat next to us was Jan and Christine Newman who I bought Blue Moon from almost exactly two years ago. It was good to catch up over some fizz (his better than mine!) and reassure him I haven't made a mess of his boat - yet.

Peter Dann

Blue Moon 325/32

Martin Watson
2023-05-03T22:08:50Z
Hi Peter et al

I have been stuck in Padstow since Sunday having arrived on Mayday which coincided with Padstow's celebration of something called The 'Oss" which seems to involve a black pantomime horse parading around the streets and the lock and lots of Morris dancing, plus lots of ale being consumed. it was a lovely afternoon in Padstow ( I arrived at 1630) but the 11 hours round from Newlyn was in 1mile viz or less and no wind so I used the radar extensively. I finally had decent visibility and then sunshine about a mile from the Doom Bar and was advised by the HM that I might not make the lock but he did his best and even urged me to maintain high speed despite the 5 Knot speed limit in the last half mile. The lock closed before I had even tied up alongside another vessel inside the lock, being watched by several sailors up on top of the harbour wall. I made a textbook arrival alongside to the general approval of the gathered throng, only to knock the throttle slightly into reverse as I walked forward to attach a line, much to the amusement of the watchers although all good-natured and who subsequently took my shorelines and made them fast. Turned out they were the crew of the inside boat. Despite them saying they were leaving at 0400 on Tuesday and my saying no problem, I'd be up to move the boat, because I went off for the day on Monday with my pal who lives in Wadebridge, when I got back at 9 pm, I discovered they had kindly swapped our boats around, repositioning my fenders and lines and positioning a fender board, borrowed from the Harbour Office. I have found a great deal of kindness and good advice offered freely on where to go from here to get to Milford Haven and ultimately Ireland. My buddy Bryan has been an absolute saint driving me all over Cornwall, helping me sort out a replacement phone with dual sim capability and also a second sim contract with EE as my 'Three' sim doesn't work down here at all. It now looks like I am going to be going to Clovelly, then Swansea, Tenby and then Milford Haven and probably Solva as a jumping-off point to Rosslare in Ireland, rather than Fishguard to Wexford. It saves 12 miles (two hours) so should be no longer than my trip round from Newlyn to Padstow which took 11 hours. I seem to have done more motoring than sailing which chimes with a comment a member of DQSC made when he did it six years ago in a Kings Cruiser 27. I'm now waiting for a two-day weather window as Clovelly is not a place to spend any time as there is nothing there although picturesque and is exposed if the wind goes east again which it still seems to be flicking backwards and forwards between. all the local sailors have said don't even consider Lundy unless very settled weather has been prevalent for a few days and direct to Milford Haven would be a 15 hour sail which I would not entertain. 11 hours was tiring enough. I don't know what it has been like in the Solent but it is still damned cold here in the mornings and the Chinese diesel heater has earned its place onboard. At the moment Saturday is looking hopeful with Sunday to get to Swansea. I will need to look at the tide times for departure/arrival at Clovelly and will probably need to move out of the lock, down onto the waiting pontoon to be able to leave when I want to. At the moment despite being locked into the small harbour, the wind is howling through my rigging and the boat rocking around quite a bit, I'm really glad i'm not out in the open water!

Martin Watson
Geoff2
2023-05-08T16:44:02Z
I've just met Blue Moon in Fishguard. He didn't tell me he was writing a blog !

Looking forward to seeing Frith and Nosey here...

Martin Watson
2023-05-27T19:15:41Z
Sorry Geoff, I didn't go into Fishguard, I went into Solva instead (a delightful little spot that I wish I had stayed longer in) I had a dreadful crossing initially to Rosslare, having prearranged berthing there for the night, but the wind went further north and strengthened and I ended up bashing through 2.5M breaking seas, which was not nice at all, only to find out when I managed to get in contact with Rosslare that they had a 1 metre swell in the harbour and advised me against coming in. I turned tail and shot down to Kilmore Quay, doing the 15Nms in less than 2 1/2 hours including tying up alongside albeit more or less in the dark by then. I'm now in Bangor NI having had three nights here to recover from pretty well constant motoring against a persistent headwind since leaving Dun Laoghaire and unfortunately, it looks like `I'm going to be motoring again tomorrow up to Glenarm and then Ballycastle. I may finally be able to sail on the crossing to Campbeltown if the wind doesn't decide to go into the east or die altogether! I've given up on going over the top of Scotland as the winds are just not playing ball and I really don't want to motor the whole way around Britain.
Martin Watson
Martin Watson
2023-05-27T19:17:32Z
PS, I've now overtaken Blue Moon who is just up river from me in Belfast and due to return to his boat on Monday. He may well overtake me again depending on where he decides to go next.
Martin Watson
PeterDann
2023-05-27T22:02:00Z
I think you're going to stay safely ahead of me now Martin. We're back to Belfast as you say on Monday then some gentle sightseeing round to Derry via the Giant's Causeway next week followed by pottering around the Firth of Clyde - there are some hills on Arran that need climbing, and some yacht clubs around the Clyde that need revisiting.
Peter Dann

Blue Moon 325/32

Martin Watson
2023-05-28T17:38:58Z
Don't forget Walter Brown lives on the Isle of Arran, he said if I make over to the island, he'll show me around. Still trying to figure out where to moor. he lives on the south side but the most promising moorings are on the north side, I think I'll give him a call, and see what he suggests.
Martin Watson
johniow
  • johniow
2023-06-12T14:09:19Z
Sadly a combination of circumstances meant I wasn't able to set off as planned, and it's now too late to do the circumnavigation and get back for September. Next year perhaps ...? I shall content myself this year with a bimble up the East Coast - not a bad place to visit at all. I'm enjoying your posts here Martin, and Peter's blog. May the tide serve and you have fair winds. Good sailing, John
Nosey - Parker 325-26
PeterDann
2023-06-12T16:43:23Z
That’s such bad luck John, but it would be a terrible shame to hurry. I have enjoyed bits I didn’t expect to, and wished I could stay longer in bits I knew I would - and I’ve only just arrived in Scotland! I’m sure you’ll love the East Coast, it is after all where all the best sailors really come from! And if you need any recommendations just let me know…
Peter Dann

Blue Moon 325/32

Turnstone
2023-06-12T18:09:08Z
That is sad news, John. But as Peter says, it is not to be rushed. Enjoy the East Coast and best wishes.

Anne & Dennis Kell Arenaria 325/21
Sandwort
2023-06-12T20:38:53Z
John - Not sure which part of the East Coast you are referring too but don't forget the East Coast rallies programmed in for July. We'd love to see you.

Anne and Dennis Kell

Martin Watson
2023-06-13T08:16:32Z
That's very sad John. I may catch you as we pass somewhere down the east coast. I'm currently in Peterhead, taking an extra day as the tides are either too early or too late to get down to Stonehaven ( I don't do night passages due to fishing/lobster pot concerns). There doesn't seem to be too many options down this part of the coast, a lot of places discourage visiting yachtsmen so Stonehaven and then Montrose, and I'm not sure where after that. Although the weather has been settled (virtually no wind or bang on the nose) there is still a swell coming in from the East which can be uncomfortable in anchorages. I'm still waiting for South Westerlys. I think I should have done this trip in a proper motorboat, I've managed so little sailing!

The poverty in this part of the country is quite striking as opposed to the Irish Republic and Northern Ireland and trying to find a decent Chandlers has been impossible. I went into Gael Force Marine in Inverness which I have used online several times in the past, expecting to find all my needs. They had virtually empty shelves, and virtually nothing for small vessels like my P27 or smaller, and no dinghy equipment at all. Quite astounding. The Marina staff and Harbourmasters are terrific though, nothing is too much bother, unlike down south, and my stay here in Peterhead is still only £18/per night.

Martin Watson
johniow
  • johniow
2023-06-13T09:31:07Z
Thanks for everybody's kind thoughts. East Coast Rally may be a possibility. It's been great to read Peter's blog and catch up with Martin on our PSSA site. Fear not I shall be picking brains for information on the sea and on land too. As you may have seen from WhatsApp this weekend, I've been doing what Parkers and Seals were at home with - ditch crawling!
Nosey - Parker 325-26