Mike711
2023-12-04T13:06:32Z
I am going to replace the cutless bearing on Solomon Seal, and while the shaft is out think it prudent to replace the inner shaft seals. Access to this area is extremely poor - I can see it from the circular access in the port cockpit locker, but think i need to cut a new access from the quarter berth to actually be able to reach it. The orignal access hatches on Solomon Seal are meade by Prout of Canvey Island - maker of the cats, but no longer in business I believe. Modern circular hatches of simlar O/D (315mm) have a much smaller hole to reach through, so wondered about a rectanguler type, though the engineer in me says the circular ones are better for not raising stress paths! I guess this bulkhead is not highly stressed though.

Any suggestions welcome, has anyone done a similar job?
philip linsell
2023-12-05T16:48:04Z
Mike
Most 26's were not originally made with inboard engines, so there is much different boat to boat.
On my 26, rascal, there is no bulkhead between the quarter berth and the under cockpit area, so access is easy. You may find removing your bulkhead is easier than creating access through it but if you opt for the access route then no worries structurally.
Philip
rascal 26 no.50
Mike711
2023-12-05T17:27:16Z
Thanks Phillip, reassuring to know the bulkhead is not structurally important!