Andy G
  • Andy G
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
2011-12-05T10:52:24Z
Hi

Has anyone replaced their outhaul when the original one has a block running in the boom?

The set up appears to be that the rope comes in the goose neck end of the boom then up the boom round a 'floating' block and back to the goose neck end of the boom where it is anchored. The rope from the 'fixed' end of the block then comes out of the boom at the aft end and fixes to the sail.

The issue is that the rope is tied to an anchor point at the goose neck end of the boom. The options appear to be

1 - Drill out the rivets the hold the goose neck in and replace the rope. Not a preferred option

2 - Drill out the rivets that hold the anchor point and do away with the block

Has anyone had a similar set up on their Outhaul and how did you replace the rope?

Many thanks for any help

Andy

Jago

Parker 235/04

Jago

Parker 235/04

ARRussell
2011-12-07T23:07:37Z
Hello Andy,

My outhaul isn't rigged like that. It sounds like you have a different boom! Mine has no running block inside it. The outhaul simply passes in at the forward end of the boom and out at the aft end. It passes round a separate block attached to the clew of the sail and is made fast at the end of the boom, giving it a 2:1 advantage.

Since mine is older than yours, are all the later booms different?

Anthony Russell

235/02 Sea Wyche

Anthony Russell

235/02 Sea Wyche

Gary
2011-12-08T17:20:57Z
quote:
Originally posted by ARRussell

Hello Andy,

My outhaul isn't rigged like that. It sounds like you have a different boom! Mine has no running block inside it. The outhaul simply passes in at the forward end of the boom and out at the aft end. It passes round a separate block attached to the clew of the sail and is made fast at the end of the boom, giving it a 2:1 advantage.

Since mine is older than yours, are all the later booms different?

Anthony Russell

235/02 Sea Wyche

Same here.

Gary/Ruth/& Skipper the Working Cocker Spaniel

Crew of Juicy Blue P235

Gary/Ruth/& Skipper the Working Cocker Spaniel

Crew of Juicy Blue P235

Andy G
  • Andy G
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
2011-12-09T15:27:02Z
Hi Anthony & Gary

Thanks for the feedback.

Sounds like mine is different. I think the way forward is to drill out the rivets that secure the eye for the rope inside the boom at the gooseneck and move the block to the clew of the main. This will keep the 2:1 ratio and makes alot more sense.

regards

Andy

Jago

Parker 235/04

Jago

Parker 235/04

DickG
2011-12-17T23:53:00Z
Your boom sounds as though it has the same set-up as mine on a P275. When I replaced the outhaul tail I had to drill the rivets and take off the gooseneck fitting. I did find that the wire to the boom end was too long so the internal 2:1 purchase came up block-to-block before I could get enough tension on the foot - shortening the wire solved that at the same time as I renewed the tail.

Regards

Dick

Dark Star P275 No 36

Dick

Dark Star P275 No 36

BobS
  • BobS
  • Advanced Member
2024-02-01T22:56:24Z
Hi Dick,

I am coming to this about 12 years after the original post. The arrangement in Teal, my 285, is the same as originally described by Andy. I had hoped to renew the rope that tensions the sheave inside the boom, but of course one end of the present line is fixed inside the boom and inaccessible. Can you tell me how the line is fixed inside the boom. Do you think there is any alternative to drilling out the rivets and removing the goose neck assembly? I don't seem to have any wire internally in the boom.

Many thanks

Bob

philip linsell
2024-02-02T20:52:18Z
Bob

I can't help with your dismantling of the boom, but for the future: on rascal, my 26 I have a single part outhaul taken back to a clutch/jammer on the cabin top, so the winch can be used to tension. Later replacement will be simple.

Philip

Superseal 26

rascal

Martin Watson
2024-02-12T18:58:23Z
As I wanted to use the third pulley for my third reef, I have fitted an external outhaul with two small roller type cam cleats, one on each side of the boom about 75cms from the outboard end. I can reach them even when the boom is fully out on a run and of course easily on a beat. the line goes to a small 30mm pulley riveted onto the outside of the tail end of the boom and then through a double pulley on the clew of the sail, back to a single 30mm pulley shackled on the end of the boom, back through the other sheeve of the double block on the clew of the sail and then to another 30mm pulley riveted on the other side of the boom and then forward to the other roller jammer. the ends are tied together (with about 30cm of slack) through one of the block tangs on the bottom of the boom. That gives me a 4:1 purchase. I simply pull down on the stretch of outhaul line outboard of the jammer on whichever side of the boom I have access to and then pull in the slack smartly through the jammer. Works a treat. I tried to get hold of a four-sheeve boom as fitted to the 275/285s but Z-Spars don't make that boom anymore. I don't know what people would do if they damaged their boom on the 275/285s.
Martin Watson
James Hamilton
2024-03-09T15:50:28Z
Hi Martin

I recently converted to single line reefing on reefs 2 & 3. I also have a flattening reef, which I use the floating block on. The outhaul as such is just pretensioned, If I need the sail a bit flatter I tension the flattening reef a bit.

The first reef runs externally round a cheek block rivetted to the boom, So far as re-reeving the lines goes for the single line reefing (I have a Z spars boom, the line needs to come out of the top of the boom rather than the bottom for a flattening reef), I found I could make a hook out of seizing wire, and after a bit of fiddling get it to feed down round the bottom pulley and come out of the top. For pulling a new rope through I again used seizing wire to join the new rope to the old.

Probably none of this helps your case, but I thought it might be of interest.

Jim Hamilton