Pat Morgan
2018-08-08T19:48:18Z
The main hydraulic pipe on my boat (P31 Phun) burst recently. Fortunately the keel was held up by the pin and the failure happened when I lifted the keel to take the pin out. So the keel did not have any distance to fall. I don't like to think of the damage which could be caused if the keel was to fall all the way to the bottom!

The failure happened where the pipe goes through the bulkhead from the big locker to under the galley locker. After taking out the failed pipe I checked the hole in the bulkhead which the pipe goes through. The surface was very sharp with prickly bits of fibreglass and the pipe did not have anything to protect it. Before inserting the new pipe I filed away the spiky bits and put a good sleeve of plastic hose round the pipe where it goes through the bulkhead.

I suggest that other P31 owners climb down into the big locker and take a look for wear on the hydraulic pipe at that spot.
Pennyw
2020-04-08T07:24:45Z
Hallo Pat

On your suggestion Pat ,we have checked the hydraulic cable on Pegasus and discovered it it was on its last legs.
Upsons boat yard has replaced the cable and checked Sula, also a Parker31 ( ashore for the winter next to our boat )She also had the same problem and now we have both been sorted with new cables
Very many thanks to you Pat

Pennyw
2020-04-08T07:24:47Z
Hallo Pat

On your suggestion Pat ,we have checked the hydraulic cable on Pegasus and discovered it it was on its last legs.
Upsons boat yard has replaced the cable and checked Sula, also a Parker31 ( ashore for the winter next to our boat )She also had the same problem and now we have both been sorted with new cables
Very many thanks to you Pat

JPC56
2024-09-25T08:53:10Z
Hi everybody,

I am in touch to buy a Parker 31 witch seems to have the same problem.
I didn't saw the boat yet (I will soon but she is in Mediterranea and I'm in Britany).
The actual owner say that the keel cannot rise up due to a pipe that "explode".
He sailed since that with the keel "down" ... and throw the pipe to garbage !

Is anyone have a plan/pictures of the whole system ?

I will have to go there directly with the good brand new pipe (or wonder by advance to a proffessionnal where the boat is). Anyone have a the references / sizes / screw type and size etc ... or an adresse to buy it !

Thanks for the help.

Bonne journée.

Jean-Philippe.
Pat Morgan
2024-09-25T17:22:36Z
Hi Jean-Philippe.
Every farmer and every builder in Europe uses hydraulic equipment, so there are many workshops which can supply spare parts and carry out repairs. Before you travel I suggest you research the area where the boat is and try to find the hydraulic workshops. When my pipe failed in 2018 it happened in Sweden, but there was no problem getting a pipe compatible with the original British-made one. The new pipe was made more quickly than making a cup of coffee. I do not know the length of the pipe - you will need to measure it. However one end has a right-angle fitting and the other end is straight. I think that the threads on both are 3/8in BSP. I have found some photos which may be useful and I will look for the diagrams of the whole system and send them to you. The keel hydraulic system on the P31 is quite simple as you will see when I send the diagrams. I suggest you look carefully at all the parts (or get a hydraulic technician to look) and consider whether other parts should be replaced.
Pat Morgan
Pat Morgan
2024-09-25T17:57:12Z
Hi Jean-Philippe,

I have attached 2 photos. One is where the pipe connects to the cylinder. The other is the other end of the pipe. Not a good photo so I will take another next time I visit the boat

I suggest you look at the Technical Info page on the PSSA website: Technical Info 

You will find an article which I wrote in 2011 which I hope will give you an idea of how the keel works. It is at: Keel overhaul P31 

20180723_152508.jpg

Click to View Image0 View(s)

20180723_155718.jpg

Click to View Image0 View(s)

I will send other diagrams when I can find them.

Pat Morgan