charlesclements
2009-05-06T16:45:10Z
Does anyone have direct experience of using 'road' diesel in their marine diesel.
i find it difficult to get red diesel locally.
i know my Yanmar 2YM15 is ok with 5% biodiesel but does road diesel have 10%?
what are the pros and cons?
regards
charles

charles clements

Spartacus 285
charles clements

Spartacus 285
kate.hattersley
2009-05-07T07:25:37Z
OOER Should I have worried? I just filled her up with white because the local yard has become so tricky about paperwork that it is easier to stick the cans in the car when going shopping. No problems so far in fact seems to be running cleaner this year less black soot on the transom!
[:)]

Kate
Kate
peter lowry
2009-05-07T15:47:58Z
My Yanmar is GM 1-7.5 hp(1982)

I usuall fill up on the Hamble river where i am told its the same diesel that Tesco used(i take this with a pinch of salt)
But like Kate i too occasionally put a Gallon or 2 of road diesel in the tank. its easier than queuing up with all the river gin palaces.
no problems to report.
Peter lowry.
Tim Howard
2009-05-20T20:34:01Z
Hi Charles. I asked my Yanmar dealer about this specifically when getting the annual spares this year (Poole area), as I had heard horror stories of the dangers of not using red diesel. He was very reassuring, and said that road diesel was in fact much better for the engine as it contained lots of healthy additives and preservatives, and was much cleaner. I find I only use a tankful or so a year as the Yanmar 1GM10 is so frugal, so cost is a minor consideration. Tim
2009-07-15T12:24:03Z
Interesting experience with 'Red' diesel this year; I went to Shotley and filled up after a long hike to London; cost worked out at 86p/litre.

Then topped up at Lowestoft; £1.09/litre !

Local garage in Norfolk, normal stuff, £1.03/litre

I now find it is often simpler to keep the revs low, and get a couple of cans ashore. Or....use sails....