kilmac
2009-12-01T09:17:15Z
Hi, I am a new PSSA member and first-time boat owner on a steep learning curve! I have recently purchased an early Seal 22. Unfortunately I lost the rudder and need a template or measurements. Any help please

Regards

Harry
Ray
  • Ray
  • Advanced Member
2009-12-11T12:03:49Z
what part of the rudder do you need the template for.

I am about to take my rudder off.

I could then draw round it you can then take all the measurements you like.

Would this be any good for you.

Regards

Ray
kilmac
2009-12-12T21:21:36Z
Hi Ray

Thanks for the reply I need the metal swing end thats attached to the tiller the bolt sheared and so lost the metal end need to make new cut out

Thanks Harry
Ray
  • Ray
  • Advanced Member
2009-12-16T22:40:41Z
Harry,

I took my rudder off last year and drew round it just incase I lost mine.

I have a mk2 Seal 22 and am willing to send you my copy it is only drawn out on a peice of wallpaper. I beleive it is made from boiler plate. I'm not sure of the thickness possibly 1/8.

If you send me your address. But please please send it back after you are finnished with it.

My Email Address is rayhowkins@meachers.com
gregfaux
2009-12-24T23:58:10Z
Hello Harry
If you havent had positive info on the thickness of the rudder plate in a day or two, i'll measure it when I go to the club next week. However I am pretty certain its more like 3/8ths (about 8mm) rather than 1/8th.....

Greg...
Seal 22 - Moonspinner
Greg...
Seal 22 - Moonspinner
kilmac
2009-12-31T18:52:55Z

hi Greg

Thanks for your effort and time. I am seking opinions on aluminium as a material for the rudder plate. The iron plate is a bit weighty. Would the lighter plate affect boat performance.
gregfaux
2010-01-07T00:36:17Z
The rudder plate on Moonspinner (22/249) is alloy. I think it is actually duralumin which is quite a lot stronger and fatigue resistant than plain alluminium. Any decent machine shop should be able to mill or lazer cut a plate from a template, and if you have time, a good jigsaw, about half a dozen spare blades and a steady hand it wouldnt be too difficult to make one up yourself, although it would be time consuming and messy (shavings). You would also need a drill for the holes and a disk grinder for cleaning and radiusing the edges. I think Prout Marine on Canvey Island used to make duralumin replacement rudder plates for a number of different craft but that would have been a very long time ago...

Greg...
Seal 22 - Moonspinner
Greg...
Seal 22 - Moonspinner
GeoffTurner
2010-01-16T18:04:19Z
"Lost" post from kilmac, originally posted 13 Jan 2010 : 16:21:56

Thanks Greg I will keep this in mind