chris nichols
2010-01-02T21:36:14Z
I have removed the cutless bearing in Artemis - it had a plastic (phenolic?) carrier tube and black plastic bearing surfaces (Nitrile?).
Dimensions were 25mm i/d, 1.5ins o/d (38mm?) and 70mm long.
Has anyone else replaced one like this and can suggest a supplier?
Thanks,
ChrisN
sean
2010-01-03T08:15:12Z
Sorry, i don't know a supplier but would be interested in how it comes out, this is another job that needs doing on my boat.
Christophe
2010-01-03T08:44:55Z
Hello ,
May i suggest you this solution.http://www.diybob.com/diyCutlessBearing.htm

Cordialement
Christophe
chris nichols
2010-01-03T10:07:24Z
Hi Sean,
the old one came out easily enough - I started with a Draper compass saw and 18tpi blade (this saw is a keyhole type and blade is thick enough to be able to push and pull it)
i was expecting to find nitrile bearing and a brass carrier, however the saw went through the nitrile and soemthing else which was not brass - a plastic of some sort.
finding this, I started using a 1/2ins curved gouge (wood chisel) which I could run down the plastic against the brass stern tube. As the whole thing is only 70mm long the job was quick and easy taking just 20mins. The stern tube is clean though there may be some residual adhesive or similar (araldite?)
I have checked the normal cutless suppliers (Countrose and TNorris websites but have yet to find one the same size - though there is one 100mm long - suppose I could cut to length.
Re Christophs' link, I have looked and seems good advice - how to spin the bearing on the shaft to ensure alignment seems problematic though - I'm sure it would catch on bits on the way round!
Hope this helps,#Cheers
ChrisN
sean
2010-01-03T15:39:43Z
Hi Chris,
Thanks for detailed reply i will let you know how it goes
DickG
2010-01-04T18:27:33Z
Chris,

Do you have a metal stern tube? Dark Star's is a grp tube, and it seems to have bearings at inboard and outboard ends. I think I will want to replace them once I have the aquadrive in. I was expecting to find something suitable at T Norris.

Regards

Dick

PS My prop shaft is 1 inch, rather than 25mm - probably worth checking with a micrometer.

Dick
Dark Star P275 No 36
Dick
Dark Star P275 No 36
chris nichols
2010-01-05T19:40:08Z
Hi Dick,
The stern tube is 1.5" O/D bronzy tube, with a separate cutless carrier tube fitted over the stern tube at the prop end - this fits over the stern tube some 70mm inside the skeg. this allows 'push fit + grub screw' cutless bearing to be fitted in the 70mm space at the end.
Peter C has a grp tube in Triton and had a brass shell cutless bearing.
FWIW the prop shaft had quite a bit of wear at the cutless position - probably due to mooring mud acting as cutting paste - Artemis has no water feed thru stern tube to flush, but this will be corrected soon I hope with another PCE mod idea!
Aquadrive thrust plate went in ok so now the mystery of 1GM10 engine mounts is all that needs to be solved! - why are OEM mounts £120 a pop!!

BTW shaft is 24.9mm dia