ARRussell
2010-01-25T21:46:13Z
In case anyone else is interested, I needed to access the underside of the deck socket for the mast wiring. It's behind the trim at the head of the keel box - there's a gap between the head lining and the aft end of the keel box. Also, a length of RG58 coax cable had been run to there from the switch panel to allow a radio aerial to be fitted easily.

Removing the GRP trim was a lengthy process: in addition to the self-tappers, it was stuck in place with some sort of hard adhesive, which made it difficult to unstick the trim without breaking it.

Anthony Russell
235/02 Sea Wyche
Anthony Russell
235/02 Sea Wyche
brock
2010-01-29T11:23:53Z
Thanks Anthony,I am installing a radio in my 21/86 and face the same task of routing the cable to the base of the mast. Like yours my trim seems to be well glued in.I hope that Parkers may have fitted a coax cable into the headlining.

Brock

21/96 Sprog
ARRussell
2010-01-29T20:35:07Z
Hello Brock. I just used a small sharp knife to remove the trim, cutting into the glue and then (gently) prising the trim away with it. The glue let go quite easily after that on the straight runs but was very stubborn on the corners around the aft face of the keel box, which had to be freed a tiny bit at a time.

I haven't checked the condition of the cable yet but I suspect it'll be corroded after all that time (the end wasn't sealed). I might well replace it by soldering on a new length and pulling it through.

I saw your post on the P21 forum; it sounds like you'll find the end of a coax cable there too. Good luck!

Anthony Russell
235/02 Sea Wyche
Anthony Russell
235/02 Sea Wyche
brock
2010-01-30T11:00:33Z
Thanks so much Anthony, I will set about investigating under the trim once the weather warms up a bit.
Regards,
Brock
ARRussell
2010-01-31T09:29:05Z
I'm afraid replacing either cable isn't going to be as easy as I suggested: they're embedded in the filling between the head lining and the coachroof and stuck fast. I've no idea what the filling is; it seems to be a resinous compound that's granular in appearance, rather like mortar. I suppose it's for insulation and stiffening the head lining.

To run new cables will need a glassfibre rod to be pushed through and I fear the filling will prevent that too, though I'd have to get hold of a rod and try it to be sure.

Anthony Russell
235/02 Sea Wyche
Anthony Russell
235/02 Sea Wyche
brock
2010-02-02T10:42:03Z
I will have a look and see what goes on in the headliner gap on Sprog.
I may end up routing the coax cable down the front end of the keel box before leading it aft. I will have a look in the next few days if it gets a bit warmer.

Regards,

Brock
Graham Ebb
2010-02-02T11:40:42Z
You could try routing your cables inside the trim around the top of the keel housing, taking them forwards towards the bow through the heads, still within the trim. Then going into the forpeak. Surface fix on the bulkhead in the forpeak and across to port to join the main cable loom going back through the bulkhead and running under the side deck where the head lining joins. You should be able to see the start of the loom with the wires from the speed and depth transducers. The only problem is that you end up with a couple of inches of exposed cable between the end of the trim and entering the forpeak because of the step in the coach roof.

Just a thought.

Graham Ebb
235/25 Blue Jazz
brock
2010-02-02T12:23:54Z
Hi Graham, thanks for the input. I think the layout on the P21 is a bit different from the 235 but may well be a way forward.

Regards,

Brock