pwhite
2007-02-14T14:12:31Z
The port & sbd lockers adjacent to where the chain plates come through the deck to the bulk heads are suffering with rain water ingress. I am assuming that water penetrates under the deck plates and trickles into the locker space. Has anyone else had this problem? Whilst the mast is down for the winter I will probably attempt to cure it with silicone sealant - unless advised otherwise!
Don Harvey
2007-02-14T20:43:15Z
Peter

You are probably correct. I suggest you renew the silicone sealant where the chain plate enters the deck. I have had a similar problem in the past.

Regards
Don Harvey
Web Master
Parker 325 'Calypso'
Regards
Don Harvey
pwhite
2007-02-14T22:29:27Z
Thanks Don, will do.
Regards,
Peter

quote:

You are probably correct. I suggest you renew the silicone sealant where the chain plate enters the deck. I have had a similar problem in the past.

Regards
Don Harvey
Web Master
Parker 325 'Calypso'

Geoff Harwood
2007-02-19T09:47:15Z
I got lots of water in the top lockers through the windows. The screws seem to wriggle undone and need tightening a couple of times each season. I've replaced the seal with ordinary silicone wug on one side and with some special butyl stuff from the SBS on the other. They have both helped.

Geoff
pwhite
2007-02-19T09:52:35Z
Thanks Geoff, a useful tip. I didn't think to suspect the windows, might try a hosepipe test to see if I can source the leak(s) more scientifically.
Kind regards,
Peter

quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Harwood

I got lots of water in the top lockers through the windows. The screws seem to wriggle undone and need tightening a couple of times each season. I've replaced the seal with ordinary silicone wug on one side and with some special butyl stuff from the SBS on the other. They have both helped.

Geoff

Phil Hanley
2007-03-03T07:00:17Z
I am going to have to do mine this winter, and I happened to be near Boston so went to see Bill Parker about it. The key thing is that the perspex must not compress the gunge too much, and this can be done either by putting in a foam strip (similar to draft excluder around doors but less compressible) or a spacer such as a washer or a thin nut under each screw.

The article at www.eagleboatwindows.co.uk  might also help.

The sealant that Parkers use is Abrosil.
pwhite
2007-03-03T09:34:02Z
Thanks for the tip Phil. Have a good season.
Peter
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Hanley

I am going to have to do mine this winter, and I happened to be near Boston so went to see Bill Parker about it. The key thing is that the perspex must not compress the gunge too much, and this can be done either by putting in a foam strip (similar to draft excluder around doors but less compressible) or a spacer such as a washer or a thin nut under each screw.

The article at www.eagleboatwindows.co.uk  might also help.

The sealant that Parkers use is Abrosil.