David Morgan
2010-12-17T12:10:42Z
I have just done my first ever oil change myself and found a real practical, basic problem of not being able to access the filler cap!
We have a Yanmar 2GM and the water calorifier mounted above it. As a result it is almost impossible to access the filler cap to add oil. It may be possible for very small arms but there is very little clearance. I was unable to get any purchase on the cap to undo it. Does anyone have this problem and have they come up with a good solution to undoing the cap and getting the oil in.
As a result I had to pump it in via the dipstick hole. This was OK as I had the pump in use to remove the old oil. Normally the pump would not be onboard and it seems out of proportion to have to do this just to top up the oil.
Any ideas appreciated.

David
David
Tim Reeder
2010-12-18T12:28:57Z
David

On my 1 GM I have similar problems but not as difficult. It is easy to undo the filler cap, but you can't pour the oil straight in. I make temporary long funnels out of cone wrapped magazine paper. You can make the end of these narrow to poke into the filler hole and then pour the oil easily into the wide end of the cone.

Hope this helps.

Tim
David Morgan
2010-12-19T20:54:44Z
I find that I can not even undo the filler cap only being able to get a couple of fingers on it and absolutely no purchase. I know that it only needs to be nipped up but after a season it is quite firmly in place and I was unable to budge it!

David
David