sean
  • sean
  • Member Topic Starter
2007-02-28T10:46:41Z
My boat P27 must be the only boat in the world that does not have a speed log fitted, i intend to get one but as i dry out on soft mud i was thinking about problems with it being damaged / clogged.
anyone found away round this problem
Geoff Harwood
2007-02-28T19:38:25Z
I've sailed on a few boats with paddle wheel logs (though I've never afforded such luxury!) and we always took the gubbins out at the end of each trip. Much squirting of water while trying to get the blank plug in to replace it. In my case it was to stop barnacles growing on it rather than mud.

Geoff
Tim Reeder
2007-02-28T20:03:47Z
Sean

I keep my 275 in the mud and found that eventually caused problems.

I now keep the blanking plug in all the time and only bother to change it when I go long distance ie across channel or somthing like that. I've got used to speed info from the GPS and estimate distances for the log entries.

Got used to it now and it saves a lot of mopping uo of water in the bilges!

Tim
2007-03-01T13:08:05Z
hi

i echo the previous comments
i have a 285 which sits on the mud and sometimes the wheel gets stuck and the log reads 0.0 intially
1. i wait 10- 15 mins for the mud to clear, this often works
2. then i loosen log fitting and give it a good twist in both directions without removing it. this invariably succeeds.
3. only if previous fails do i remove log and inspect, clean etc.

normally i only have trouble towards end of season. do a lot of day sailing maybe 40 sails during summer and never been a major
problem

regards
charles
charles clements

Spartacus 285
2007-03-01T17:30:46Z
Hi Sean

I have not yet used my new boat but have fitted a Garmin log, which has a paddle-wheel and a blanking plug. I can't vouch yet as to how it works (reading others postings about gushing water!) but there IS a non-return one-way spring activated flap which shuts as you pull the paddle-wheel out and opens as you insert the blanking plug. This is not to stop water ingress over a long period but just whilst changing the paddle for the plug.

Like I say, I'm not in the water yet and can't test it but assuming it works to some extent it may be a system to consider?
Stephen Godber
235/51 "Exodus"
Geoff Harwood
2007-03-01T19:11:54Z
That sounds like a bit of a spoil-sport! To be down in the deep dark bowels of the boat and see that incredibly beautiful luminous green fountain is an experience not to be missed.

Geoff
philip linsell
2007-03-01T20:51:56Z
quote:
Originally posted by sean

My boat P27 must be the only boat in the world that does not have a speed log fitted, i intend to get one but as i dry out on soft mud i was thinking about problems with it being damaged / clogged.
anyone found away round this problem

I have stopped using my fixed log, I can't be bothered to put it it and mop up each time. (leave it in it won't work next time).
I now have a trailing log chuck it over the stern any time you want.
2007-03-01T21:18:57Z
Yes, sorry Geoff! Of course, I don't know if this system WORKS, so the green fountain of doom may yet bite back!
Stephen Godber
235/51 "Exodus"
sean
  • sean
  • Member Topic Starter
2007-03-02T08:05:33Z
so when the boats dry out is the impeller pushed into the mud, i do not know yey as the boat is new to me and it has not yet gone onto my drying mooring.
Don Harvey
2007-03-16T21:35:37Z
Sean

When I had the 275 I never had a problem when settling into mud. It does depend on the consistency but the position of the paddle is somewhat higher than the lowest point of the hull (if you settle on sand one day you'll see it's quite clear of the ground).

If the mud is very soft it will wash away.

The main problem with these paddle wheel logs is the build up of weed and crustaceans. I have the same problem with my 325.

Regards
Don Harvey
Web Master
Parker 325 'Calypso'
Regards
Don Harvey
Ken Surplice
2007-03-23T21:22:31Z
Hi Sean. As Don and others say, the problem with the log wheel is to do with clogging up rather than damage. We (er, Sue) always removes ours. My contribution, which I am very proud of, is to keep a vacuum oil-changer (by Pelican, from memory), next to the log well. It is all plastic and makes it easy to suck up the remnants of the water fountain and carry out the water all in one easy action. Sue does winge, but it cannot be all that difficult.[}:)]
Cheers-Ken

Ken Surplice
Vice Commodore
Ken
2007-03-25T13:08:40Z
So brave! You are living dangerously, Ken!![;)]

Stephen Godber
235/51 "Exodus"
Stephen Godber
235/51 "Exodus"
kate.hattersley
2007-05-07T16:35:41Z
I bent my (Simrad) paddlewheel log bearing pins from the drying out in the mud process. I found they were obsolete but a company called AW Marine supply spares. It took a while because the first day I rang Mr A W had died and the company took a few weeks to get back on track! Eventually the pins arrived for £9.11 and all is well again. I dont know what I will do when the system fails again as indeed it will eventually. Maybe go to Tacktick wireless?

Kate
Kate
Ken Surplice
2007-05-12T09:36:42Z
Kate,
I just received a TackTick wind instrument for my last (big...) birthday. Clearly Sue hasn't been reading my posts in this forum and is still happy to get me birthday presents. It seems to be well made and the instructions are clear. I would love to go TackTick throughout. I think Walter in S26 Ard Righ has a lot of experience with TackTick if you want some further comments.
Cheers-Ken

Ken Surplice
Vice Commodore
Ken
David Pocock
2007-05-12T18:22:10Z
I had a full set of Tacktick instruments fitted to my 235 (wind, depth, log) and linked to my ST1000. Everything worked perfectly from the start and it is really handy being able to move the wind indicator from the cockpit to the cabin.

Although my boat normally lives on a swinging mooring, I let it dry out in a soft mud harbour for about a month and the paddle wheel never clogged.

My only problem is that there is so much functionality that I have hardly scratched the surface yet!

David Pocock
Parker 235/52 Arawa
David Pocock
Parker 235/52 Arawa