Nigel Holl
2011-05-04T18:35:44Z
I have just purchased what I believe to be Parker 21 No 7. Currently named LuLu (not sure that will stick) - was based in Gairloch (NW Scotland).

The forum has been very useful as I contemplated various boats - so thankyou for all contributions over the years!

Looking forward to getting on the water soon - happily playing, cleaning and tidying currently.

My first issue that I cant solve alone relates to what I would describe as the "keelwire". See attached photo - if i could work out how to attach / show it!

This looks as though it should go round something / be attached to something - as a backstop to prevent the keel dropping out of the boat should all else fail. Can anyone advise me how this works on your boats?

Also if anyone has any history on P21/7 I'd be grateful.

Many thanks,

Nigel Holl
Geoff Harwood
2011-05-05T17:40:41Z
Number 7 is the first of Bill Parker's little boats after he took over the Super Seal from John Baker. It was based on John Baker's Mini Seal of which some were made but I don't think any were actually sold. Presumably that is why the numbars start at 7.

Your picture of the keel arrangement didn't appear! Early ones (at least up to mine (No 30) they were supplied with the keel raised by a cable winch system operated by a winch handle from the deck. Most (including mine)were subsequently converted by Bill to a much better system of rope and blocks. The cable in modified versions is attached to a shock cord up the front of the mast and serves simply as an indicator of how far up or down the keel is.

Geoff Harwood P21/30 Cygnus
Alan Needham
2011-05-05T18:19:02Z
Hello Nigel, welcome aboard! [:)]

I have P21/8 so our boats should be similar. Apparantly Bill Parker was still developing the P21 in these early stages so I still expect some differences. I bought my boat at the end of last season and am still trying the get ready for this season, I am changing the foredeck hardware, adding a bow roller, sealing and adding an anchor locker drain. #8 was returned to Parkers for the multiblock winch to be fitted.

Looking in the P21 Technical Handbook which I have a copy of, there is mention of a wire strop fitted to the top of the keel, this should in turn to connected to a shock cord attached to the mast to indicate the position of the keel.

By the way have you found an anode anywhere?

Alan Needham P21/8
Nigel Holl
2011-05-05T18:59:30Z
Thank you Geoff and Alan. Your responses help greatly - the wire has the remnants of a bungy cord on the end, so that adds up as a means of assessing how much keel is raised / lowered.

I suspect the blocks etc have been adapted at somepoint - the line leads back to the cockpit now - feels heavy, and I have noted the comments on replacing blocks in earlier posts (that might follow an intial crew shake-down period in the water).

I will need to progressivly work my way round her - the tiller has been repaird for example, and I would trust it in a blow!I suspect I'll need to work out the picture includin technique at some point!

I'm alos very grateful to hear that the numbering started at 7! I knew she was an early boat ... but not that early. The previous owner suggested she had been intially given to Bill Parkers son (London?), and then subsequetly moved to North Wales. Then to Gairloch, where she has a fairly easy life I think.

I'll be busy anyway.

Anyone any ideas on sail numbers - the main is branded Parker 21 (original?), but not numbered. I'm planning on entering the Scottish Two Handed Race at the end of the summer ..... so will need to gt registerd / numbered.

Many thanks

Nigel Holl
P21/7 (?)
Nigel Holl
2011-05-05T19:01:21Z
I should have added - no Anode to be seen. Hmmmm.

Nigel