Tomp
  • Tomp
  • Member Topic Starter
2011-05-10T17:00:39Z
We have a Parker 275, after replacing the furling gear and fore-stay last year and replacement of the remaining standing rigging this year. We are not sure if there is an error in our original measurements of the forestay length when adjusted for our furler.

With our forestay at its shortest (on the bottle screw) we have a rake of 38cm at the gooseneck. The does seem a lot but as I am not sure what we used to have apart from sailing it and checking the balance of the boat i am not sure. Without cutting the forestay and furler a bit shorter would not know if she performs better with less rake.

Has anyone played around with the rake and found a good angle or know if these boats perform better with a raked or straight mast?

Many thanks.

Tom
Tom
ARRussell
2011-05-15T11:14:35Z
Hello Tom,

I had to ponder a similar situation with my 235 (described here: http://www.parkerseal.org.uk/bbs/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1149 ). I decided to follow the guidance in a rigging book, which was that fractionally-rigged masts with swept spreaders should usually be raked 2 to 3 degrees. Mine is raked a good 3 degrees with no excessive weather helm.

I don't know your boat's mast length, or 'P', but I guess it must be around 12m. If so, 38 cm at the gooseneck would be less than 2 degrees of rake.

Hope that helps.

Anthony Russell
235/02 Sea Wyche
Anthony Russell
235/02 Sea Wyche