Dan17
  • Dan17
  • Member Topic Starter
2011-05-28T01:02:52Z
Hi everyone,

Iv been trying to find a place to put my battery and gas bottle. When I got Bethany the gas bottle was underneath the cooker in the cabin. I don’t know about everyone else's opinions on that but I personally don’t think that’s the safest place for it.
Then I thought about putting the gas bottle in one of the lockers at the stern but that also wouldn’t work as one holds the boats battery and the other the petrol tank for the outboard. I then thought about putting the battery somewhere inside the boat in the cabin but again that wouldn’t be safe as batteries can release poisonous gases when charging and I will want to charge my battery in the evenings on shore power. So at the moment I'm out of ideas. So my question is where does everyone else keep their batteries and gas bottle on board?

Thanks
Daniel Levie
Seal 22 Mark II 1972 'Bethany' Sail number 70
Ray
  • Ray
  • Advanced Member
2011-06-09T15:08:36Z
I have my Battery in the step into the cabin but only charge it on the outboard when motoring. On some Leisure Battery they have a vent pipe (size of a straw)

As regard Gas I don’t have any but listening to a fireman or it may have been the guy from Calor gas we had at my Sailing club during the winter. They said the only safe place was to strap the gas bottle to your railing (He also said sorry about the looks) If you’re putting this in to a locker remember this MUST drain out the bottom of the locker and out of the boat.

Not really sure if draining into the cockpit is acceptable ?

Ray (Sealia)
smiffy
2011-06-09T15:20:53Z
Hi Ray,

The gas locker on Morveren is no longer in use as I use an alcohol stove, but it is in the lazaret locker. it drains down where the prop goes through the bottom of the boat. I am fitting my battery where yours is, under the step, seems about the best place for it?

Cheers, Ray.

Seal 22 MK3 "Morveren" Number 384
(the last one built by John Baker)

Seal 22 MK3 "Morveren" Number 384
(the last one built by John Baker)

geoff.sheddick
2011-06-09T16:47:36Z
My advice is that you throw away your gas cooker now! and get yourself an alcohol [Origo] cooker.

http://www.boatsafetyscheme.com  ].

So what? Well, although these regulations have no legal effect on other waters, many marine underwriters now treat BSS 7 as the definitive standard for ANY marine LPG installation [and most marine surveyors will use BSS 7 as guidance], and insurers are likely to deny all liability in the event of fire or explosion if they subsequently find that your installation does not comply in any respect with BSS 7.

http://www.gascheckmarine.co.uk/ ], but, quite apart from the cost of a Gas Check by a Certified Gas Engineer, a quick glance at BSS 7 will almost certainly convince you that the quickest - and by far the cheapest solution - if you are starting from scratch to settle for an alcohol cooker. And if if it doesn't, then it will at least provide you with all the guidance that you need to create a safe installation.

If you do go down the alcohol cooker route, then search these forums for previous posts about their peculiarities and quirks, and about the benefits [no smell] of getting hold of de-natured alcohol rather than using meths.
sincerely
Previously Seal 22 #230 "Cecilia", nowadays

Geoff Sheddick
Parker 27/146 "Stroller'
Geoff Sheddick
Parker 27/146 "Stroller'
Dan17
  • Dan17
  • Member Topic Starter
2011-06-10T11:04:45Z
Ya I was thinking of getting an Alcohol cooker, Only thing id miss about the gas is probably the grill. But other than that id love to get rid of it.
When you say the battery is under the step, is it in a sealed box? Because there is a big space under the steps that goes rite back to the stern of the boat under the cockpit on my boat, no sealed box tho.
The place where my battery sits at the moment is in the starboard locker beside the outboard well, which seams to be the best place for it. I was thinking of moving the gas bottle here but then I wouldn't have a place for the battery so as you said an Alcohol cooker would probably be the best solution.
[Edit]
http://cgi.ebay.ie/Porta...3a65bad7a7#ht_2009wt_802 
Here's one I was looking at on Ebay

Thanks for the help.
Daniel Levie

geoff.sheddick
2011-06-10T18:42:06Z
Dan - take a look at the Origo 3000 topic in the 'other technical issues' forum - Geoff

Geoff Sheddick
Parker 27/146 "Stroller'
Geoff Sheddick
Parker 27/146 "Stroller'
Tony Nield
2011-07-07T09:49:48Z
Hello Folks
I have my gas bottle in the lazarette to starboard strapped on a built-in shelf. I ran smallbore copperpipe through the bulkhead, inside the lockers to the gimballed cooker via a shut-off valve and rubber gaspipe. I suppose this drains via the lockerlid and also the OB well which should act as an airpump. Each time the boat moves and water level rises and falls in the well it will pump air in and out of the locker ( some hope?)
My 2 batteries are to port and stbd immediately inside the step locker on shelves which I built-in --- a horrible job needing a contortionist. Poisonous fumes aren't really a problem in normal charging conditions. Although a certain amount of hydrogen may be released, it is so light it disperses upwards, unlike butane.
Tony Nield S22 "Dee Rover"