kate.hattersley
2011-06-15T00:21:00Z
I have a problem with water leaking from the main water tank under the quarter berth. The pipes seem intact but there is a hidden electric water pump somewhere under the bilge tray of the engine.

I have discovered there is a deep hidden space full of wires and fresh water pipes. In that are some loose metal ball bearings rolling about.

Has anyone else had issues down in this dark crevice? It seems nigh on impossible to get at the pump. I would like to remove it and fit manual pumps as that is my policy with everything these days!

Kate
Kate
Jan
  • Jan
  • Advanced Member
2011-06-15T11:15:05Z
Hello Kate
Are you sure it is not the inspection cover that is leaking, we had that problem and have heard of other 275 owners with the same problem. Only noticeable when the tank is near full. Our pump was on top of the engine on a shelf.
I note you have an entry in the 3 peaks yacht race, something my children dream about , good luck, where do the bikes go ?

Jan
325/32
Bob
  • Bob
  • Advanced Member
2011-06-15T12:14:09Z
Unless it has been fitted by a previous owner there should be no electric water pump below the engine bilge tray, the engine tray moulding is bonded directly on the hull, The wires and pipes you describe are part of the wiring loom and plumbing system that are routed at the side of the water tank, the ball bearings (if they are approx 3-5mm) you see are just remnants of the shot ballast used in the construction process.
kate.hattersley
2011-06-15T19:21:55Z
Aha that is really useful information Bob about the shot! I feel better about it now. I will try and find the pump. The inspection hatch does leak but only into the main cabin (!) not into the secret compartment. I still think it is a blue water hose that is leaking somehow.

I take your point about the tray but I am dismayed to find it is not the lowest point in the boat!!

Jan you are correct Beeline is going to be the smallest boat in this years 3PYR. The bikes travel by car from Barmouth to Whitehaven in the back up vehicle. Hoping to leave tomorrow to go round Land's end to reach Wales but there is a gale forecast.

I will post a link on the forum so you can follow our progress. We are dot 1 as we won the alphabetical race!!

Kate
Kate
kate.hattersley
2011-06-15T21:40:42Z
Back from another search. The pump is definitely in the dead space below the floor, not the engine compartment. I can trace the wiring from the taps down into the bilge but I cannot reach the pump. More detective work will no doubt ensue over the next week!

Kate
Kate
Ken Surplice
2011-06-16T16:59:59Z
Hi Kate. On 275/25 the fresh water pump is above the engine tray and easily accessed or replaced. We only have the manual bilge pump strainer box in our under engine bilge. Hang on in there. Ken

Ken Surplice
Commodore
Ken
Bob
  • Bob
  • Advanced Member
2011-06-16T20:22:42Z
I can only thing someone has installed a submersible pump at some point into the cavity you are talking about,as the cabin floor is solid and no bilge...[?]
kate.hattersley
2011-08-01T23:53:04Z
The answer eventually emerged in Falmouth when we stopped for repairs. I withdrew all the pipework and wiring from the underfloor space via the 4 inch hatch below the water tank. There was a 12v inline submersible water pump that had frost damage and was leaking. It should have been further up the line in the engine compartment but presumably had been sited close to the T junction in the pipe so it could pump to the heads as well as the galley. It was easy to replace like for like but hard to fit it all back into the space. I feel like a gynaecologist after all that!

Kate
Kate