stargazy
2011-06-27T16:45:02Z
Hi all

Stargazy is on a 3/4 tide mooring in Chichester Harbour, I've been leaving her with her rudder at about 45 degrees, i.e partly lowered, so that when she settles on the bottom, she it will rise up.

My rudder blade however has not been antifouled, so its going a little green :-)

So my question is, do actually need to leave any rudder down on the mooring?

Thanks

Daniel
philip linsell
2011-06-27T21:42:25Z
Daniel
Firstly I would never leave the rudder part down, there is far too much leverage, you could do serious damage.
I keep 'rascal' on a part tide mooring in the Bosham channel of Chi Harbour. I leave the rudder fully up, but use a short dagger type rudder fitted to the side of the stock to reduce swinging. I also leave the keel down a bit.
I don't antifoul my blade, as it's only in the water when I'm sailing.
Philip
David Tilley
2011-07-25T16:00:05Z
Daniel,
I have a mooring in the Exe Estuary which, when we had it put in left 0.8m at spring lows but sadly God keeps moving the sand bar around and sometimes there is drying sand right up to our beam. I have always therefore, since we bought Team Spirit last May tied the rudder up fully as well as raising the keel as much as the normal gear permits. The bottom of the rudder stock and lower edge of the blade still seem to be in the water enough to collect some slimey weed even though I antifoul the blade. We regularly spend weekends on the boat, pottering around without leaving the mooring and have never noticed anything untoward when settling or floating.

David Tilley
David Tilley