philip linsell
2011-09-17T19:39:43Z
When sailing rascal in strong winds, staying on starboard tack for a long while I found a small ammount of water in the port side under bunk locker (5-10mm, no more).
I cannot find any dampness anywhere else. No problem on port tack.
Has anyone else had this problem; and solved it?
Philip Linsell
rascal ss 50
Hilary Martin
2011-09-18T10:14:52Z
I have the same problem with LESA SS26 No 33 (bought last year) - there is a void under the floor forward of the engine compartment and the sink. Any water collected there finds its way behind the stove area into the locker when the boat heels on starboard tack. After draining all the water out when aground bow up at Timbrells Quay, a subsequent diesel leak proved the source of the water in the port locker - not the hull/deck joint! Not fixed yet but try Graham (SS26 HEART OF GLASS)who was very helpful with advice on how to do this.
Hilary Martin
SS26 LESA 33
philip linsell
2011-09-19T17:40:21Z
Thanks Hilary
I have been thinking about cutting an access to the under cooker area. I did attemt to silicone seal the gap at the rear of the locker, but it was too greasy to seal properly.
Still no adea where water comes from? There is only ever a drop under the engine.
Philip
stargazy
2011-09-20T09:10:42Z
quote:
Originally posted by philip linsell

Thanks Hilary
I have been thinking about cutting an access to the under cooker area. I did attemt to silicone seal the gap at the rear of the locker, but it was too greasy to seal properly.
Still no adea where water comes from? There is only ever a drop under the engine.
Philip

I have water ingress coming from the bases of my stanchion fittings, the sealant has dried out, allowing water to seap in. I need to remove and rebed them.

I also have some water coming in from round the windows.

Rainwater is the biggest culprit for water ingress on my boat.

Is the water you have in the bilge salty or fresh?
philip linsell
2011-09-20T16:35:48Z
I have no problems anywhere higher up, the shelf is dry as aer the lockers behind the bunks. No deck leaks or windows, before or after I replaced them!
The water is salt. Last week was the first time this year.
Philip