stevesharpemail
2011-11-01T17:33:31Z
My question is: why does the spinnaker down haul fix to the fore deck? With this arrangement it has to be adjusted when moving the pole, as the pivot points of pole and down haul fixing are different. Is it not possible to attach down haul to base of mast? In this way it can be set and left in one position - maybe even doing away with any pulley system at all.
In addition - do we need a down haul at all if we have tweakers holding down the sheets?
I would welcome any views!
Steve
P27 Red Storm
JohnG
2011-11-02T18:46:35Z
Hi Steve,
The pole downhaul performs two functions, the primary one as the name suggests is to prevent the pole being lifted by the spinnaker guy. The secondary function is to pull the pole forward so that it is hard up against the clew of the sail.

I once sailed on a Hunter Medina that had the arrangement you suggest, i.e. with the downhaul let to the base of the mast, and it did indeed make for very easy adjustment of the sheet and guy. Initially I thought it was a really sensible way to do it.

All was fine till it got a bit breezy. The upwards force on the clew (as a result of the centre of the spinnaker pulling forwards) caused the pole to move along the guy a little way, away from the clew. Once the pole started to move, the situation rapidly worsened until the pole twanged back against the shrouds, and the guy (rapidly followed by the sheet) took off skywards. Now we had a very full spinnaker flying way up high which almost instantly hauled the boat over on to her beam ends. Getting it all back under control again was challenging to say the least.

Regards

John Guess
SS26 Evangeline
John Guess
SS26 Evangeline
kate.hattersley
2012-02-06T21:50:36Z
The spinnaker downhaul is a vital rope on our boat. Adjusting it is a job always given to The Newbie who can sit in the companionway feeling useful while the rest of the crew dash about hoisting poles and spinnaker and pulling ropes and guys and generally panicking. Newbie just focuses on Pole Up and Pole Down and keeps out of the the way.
Seriously it is a pain to have to keep adjusting it every time you let the pole forward/back/up/down but it gives a nice stable triangle for pole positioning which is vital in heavy weather.

Kate
Kate