stevesharpemail
2011-11-15T15:13:49Z
Many of the Parker owners must have had to remove the old glue when replacing any of the interior trim.
Scraping seems to get some of it off, but does anyone knows of a cleaner that will take off the residual glue?
P27 Red Storm
Andrew D
2011-11-15T20:28:42Z
I have just stripped the fore cabin of my Parker 275 of all the old lining material. A horrible job especially with dust face mask on which I am told is essential to stop inhaling the debris.
I just used a scrapper, wire brush and hoover. I got most off but by no means all of it. I am now relining with a side liner product from Kayospruce and a spray glue. This looks superb and transforms the fore cabin. Be aware of glue fumes. I set up a large fan in the companion way and opened the hatch. It warns you on the tin not to do it yourself in case you get overcome. I will use five tins of spray glue when finished and I think it was 6 x 2 metres of sidelining. I used the old lining as a template to transfer to building polythene so that the new sidelining did not get dirty.
The fumes are certainly pretty strong but worth it in the end.
Terry Gates
2011-11-17T13:51:26Z
When I did the lining of my P21 I used scraper, wire brush and hoover, as above, to remove the old glue. It was messy and time consuming but it worked well enough. That was a few years ago now and the result still looks good. I used materials from Hawke House Marine who were very helpful. They sold me a 3M respirator which protects you from breathing in the fumes from contact adhesives. I thought it was worth spending the extra. I still made sure there was plenty of ventilation and took plenty of fresh air breaks.

Terry Gates
"Kitty" P21 No. 99
Terry Gates
"Kitty" P21 No. 99
DickG
2011-12-17T23:37:08Z
Steve,

I did that job last winter. I got most of it off with "face-off" discs from Hawke House which fitted onto an angle grinder. I also used some 3M Citrus glue remover for bits I couldn't get to so easily with the angle grinder. Bo Copsey at the club used a different glue remover on his, and Chris Nichols used the face-off discs on his.

Regards

Dick
Dark Star P275 No 36
Dick
Dark Star P275 No 36
kate.hattersley
2012-02-06T21:41:24Z
The sad truth about this job is that it is hard and horrible and takes ages. I tried wire wool, the Hawke House thingy, a sander, petrol, and soap and water. All were partially successful but it just took weeks of scratching away with a mask on getting fed up and cold and achy.
The results are worth it though. Honestly!

Kate
Kate
andyh
2012-04-30T18:39:34Z
I have just stripped 20 years of glue from my quarter berth. I found the best solution was a heat gun followed by sanding the area down with a paint sanding disc from b and q.
Absolutely horrible job, with dust every where!

Now I just need to get the headlining stuck back up....does anyone know of a good reputable person in the lymington/Bournemouth/Poole area for this?

Thanks

Andy Hazell
No Dramas
P27/127
Andy Hazell
No Dramas
P27/127
peter taylor
2012-05-02T17:26:19Z
Hi Andy,
Try Roger Nantis, Marine headlinings, he did the complete job on Piper for me last winter and I am pleased with the result! rogernantis@talktalk.net tel 0790440794. Good luck!
Pete

Pete Taylor.
P27 140 Pied Piper
Pete Taylor.
P27 140 Pied Piper