Barry Harris
2011-12-02T12:42:46Z
Our boat came without a genaker or gear. Is there a drawing with dimensions for the bowsprit ring? Is it possible to have one made and welded to the existing anchor roller plate or is it best to buy the complete plate? Is there a deck cup for the inboard end of the bowsprit? Any tips on favoured layout for the running gear?
ARRussell
2011-12-28T21:27:23Z
Hello Barry,

I've finally got around to taking some measurements for you - sorry for the delay. My stemhead fitting has a simple loop formed from a strap of stainless steel welded to it. The strap is 14SWG (2mm thick), about 29mm wide at the top, flaring to 37mm wide at its ends - the bases of the inverted U, which is the shape of the loop.

The internal dimensions of the inverted-U loop are 79mm high by 68mm wide between the parallel sides.

The loop would be simple to make but you'd need to remove the pulpit and stemhead fitting from the boat in order to have it welded.

The jib pole serves as the bow sprit, passing through the loop and clipping on to a U-bolt on the forward face of the coachroof, port side. If you don't have one, the jib pole is a Z-Spars pole, 57mm diameter, 2.2m long.

As for running gear, my sheets are led round ratchet blocks that are simply fitted to the loops at the feet of the pushpit. The sheets are long enough to run forward to the winches, if required (otherwise, the ratchet blocks allow the sheets to be hand-held in light breezes). I rig the tack with a long line round a block at the end of the bowsprit and aft to a clutch.

Do you intend to use a snuffer or furling gear or neither?

Anthony Russell
235/02 Sea Wyche
Anthony Russell
235/02 Sea Wyche